Skip to main content
Philadelphia Eagles

Philadelphia Eagles News

Third Quarter Recap- Eagles Gaining Momentum

Starting the second half down 17-9, the Eagles first drive of the third quarter started at their own 20-yard line. Nick Foles was sacked on second down, setting up a long third-and-sixteen. Foles had an open Jason Avant, but overthrew him to set up a Donnie Jones punt.

The Vikings started at their own 48-yard line on the ensuing possession. Matt Cassell once again hit the deep ball, connecting with wide receiver Jarius Wright for 42 yards, taking the ball down to the Eagles eight-yard line. Two plays later, Cassel would call his own number and run the ball in to put the Vikings up 24-9. With that score, the Eagles snapped their streak of nine-straight games allowing 21 points or fewer.

The Eagles once again started at their own 20-yard line, this time with 12:03 to play in the third quarter. Foles would find Riley Cooper to pick up a first down on the first play of the drive, and McCoy would pick up seven yards a few plays later to set up third-and-three. On the following play, Foles had time to throw, and found DeSean Jackson for an Eagles first down, moving into Vikings territory. On the nest play, however, Foles' pass was intercepted by former-Eagle Shaun Prater, giving the Vikings the ball back with just over 10 minutes to go in the quarter on the clock. It was the second interception of the season for Foles, and the first-career pick for Prater.

The Eagles defense would batten down the hatches on the follow possession, forcing the Vikings to punt for the first time on the afternoon. A 47-yard punt would set the Eagles up at their own 15.

On third-and-one, the Eagles ran a sweep to LeSean McCoy, but he was tackled short of the first down marker. On fourth-and-one, McCoy would try to go up the middle, but an official measurement ruled that he came up inches short of the first down, resulting in a turnover on downs. Taking a gamble, Chip Kelly decided to challenge the play, but the ruling on the field stood as called.

Starting at the Eagles 24, the Vikings, forced with third-and-sixteen, couldn't get the first down, but a Blair Walsh 38-yard kick extended Minnesota's lead to 27-9.

Brandon Boykin would return the ensuing kickoff to the Eagles 30, but he would stay down on the field following the play after landing awkwardly on his shoulder. Fortunately for Eagles fans, Boykin was able to walk off of the field. On a third-down and ten, Foles would find Avant for a big first down to keep the drive alive. A few first downs later, Foles would find Jackson for a 30-yard touchdown. With 3:14 to go in the third, the Eagles narrowed the Vikings' lead to 27-16.

On the Vikings' ensuing drive, the Eagles defense would come up huge, with Mychal Kendricks intercepting a tipped pass. With under a minute to go in the quarter, a screen pass to Brett Celek took the Eagles to the Vikings three-yard line. On the next play, Foles would throw a fade to Ertz, who made an unbelievable grab for a touchdown. The Eagles would fail on a two-point conversion, making the score 27-22 with 15 seconds to go in the quarter.

The Vikings would pick up a first down on their next drive, as the final seconds of the third quarter ran off the clock. Stay tuned for what should be an exciting finish.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content