Eagles football returned to the Linc! After two joint practice with the Cleveland Browns, the teams hit the field for a preseason battle. Touchdowns from Trey Sermon and Brady Russell helped the Eagles come away with a tie.
Once again, only a few starters played for the Eagles as Head Coach Nick Sirianni used this week's practices as reps for his first-teamers.
Here is how the game unfolded:
- FUMBLE! Nakobe Dean forced a fumble on the Eagles 1-yard line! The Browns were driving and ready to pound it home, but the Eagles' defense had other ideas. John Kelly lost the ball on first-and-goal, K'Von Wallace came away with the loose change.
- "I read the play and was able to find the gap," Dean said.
- Just a few plays after the fumble, the Browns respond by stuffing Kenny Gainwell in the Eagles' end zone. Linebacker Mohamoud Diabate beat Josh Sills off the right side of the line, giving the visitors the lead. (Browns 2, Eagles 0)
- Jake Elliott nailed a 56-yard field goal to give the Eagles the lead. Marcus Mariota and Greg Ward connected on a third-down earlier in the nine-play drive to get the Eagles into field goal position. (Eagles 3, Browns 2)
- SACK! Kentavius Street got home to take down Dorian Thompson-Robinson on third down. Nolan Smith started the play with a quarterback rush that led to the sack.
- Marcus Mariota was intercepted by Ronnie Hickman on a pass over the middle. The Eagles were driving after a 16-yard run by Rashaad Penny.
- Olamide Zaccheaus, Nolan Smith, and Zech McPhearson all left the game with injuries and did not return. Smith was taken out of the game for precautionary reasons.
- "I am feeling good," Smith said after the game. "I know everybody is worried about my shoulder injury but they just took me out for precautionary reasons."
- Cade York split the uprights with a 43-yard field goal. Eagles linebacker Christian Elliss broke up a third-and-5 pass that led to the visitors settling for a kick. (Browns 5, Eagles 3)
- Trey Sermon broke free on a screen pass, but fumbled at the end of his 14-yard gain. Diabate forced the ball out and Cameron Mitchell recovered.
- Cade York was 2/2 in the first half as he drilled a 37-yard field goal. Cleveland penalties helped the Eagles get off the field without allowing more than three points. (Browns 8, Eagles 3)
- TOUCHDOWN! Trey Sermon dazzled his way into the end zone with a 33-yard run. The score capped off a six play, 75-yard drive led by quarterback Tanner McKee. (Eagles 10, Browns 8)
- "It felt good to make up for the fumble," Sermon said. "I saw a clear view of the end zone, trusted my speed, and just ran."
- Eagles wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland left the game after attempting to make a catch on the near sideline. Cleveland was carted off and ruled OUT with a neck injury. He did have movement in all his extremities.
- Kellen Mond connected with Austin Watkins for a 32-yard touchdown to give the Browns the lead back. Watkins caught the ball on the right sideline, eluded two defenders, and walked into the end zone. (Browns 15, Eagles 10)
- Just 12 seconds into the final frame, York gave the Browns an eight-point lead with a 43-yard field goal. A PBU by Ben VanSumeren on second down and a bad pass by Mond on third down led to the visitors settling for another field goal. (Browns 18, Eagles 10)
- On fourth-and-goal from the 3-yard-line, McKee rolled out to his right and found Deon Cain in the back of the end zone, but the receiver dropped the pass. A 10-yard rush from Kennedy Brooks and a 35-yard catch from Tyree Jackson put the Eagles in great field position. Unfortunately, they couldn't finish off an impressive drive.
- Just minutes later, Eagles defensive tackle Moro Ojomo was carted off the field. He was ruled OUT but had movement in all of his extremities.
- TOUCHDOWN! McKee rolled out to his right and found tight end Brady Russell for a 22-yard score. The Eagles succeeded on a two-point conversion as McKee found Johnny King on a slant route. This touchdown tied the game with 6:16 left. (Eagles 18, Browns 18)
- "The ball was going where it needed to go," said Sirianni of McKee's performance. "It was accurate. Some really nice throws into some tight coverage."
- "We had been running a lot of inside zone," Russell said. "I sold that I was running the backside cut-off to climb up to the ladder then just release past him. They were all flowing, biting on the run, so I knew I was going to be wide open running to that corner and I just needed Tanner to see me."
- Cade York had been perfect on field goals tonight, but that changed right after the two-minute warning. First, he missed a 47-yard field goal which was negated by a penalty on new Eagle Olive Sagapolu. He then attempted and missed a 41-yard field goal.
- A promising final drive from the Eagles ended in a McKee sack by Tommy Togiai. McKee hit Johnny King for 21 yards over the middle on second-and-19, which was the biggest play of the drive.
- The Browns has a few plays left before the clock expired, but could not get into field goal range.
- There is no overtime in the preseason.
The Eagles hosted the Cleveland Browns in the first home preseason game of the 2023 season. Check out the photos from the Thursday night affair.