Head coach Doug Pederson made it official when he met the media Tuesday at the NovaCare Complex to kick off the Eagles' Organized Team Activities: Quarterback Carson Wentz will be a full participant in the practices, with no restrictions.
“Carson has no limitations," Pederson said. "I’m not going to hold him back.”
Wentz started 11 games in 2017, the final one on December 9 at Dallas. In the days after that game, tests revealed a back injury that would ultimately sideline the franchise quarterback for the duration of the regular season and the two-game postseason.
Hard work and steady progress in his recovery program has led Wentz to this point – getting back on the field and taking reps. Wentz talked about his back on April 15 when he last met the media at the NovaCare Complex, setting May 21 and the opening of the OTAs as his target date to gain clearance for full participation in practice.
While the entire offseason program has been voluntary, under the rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Wentz has been a daily participant. He is one of four quarterbacks on the roster – along with Nate Sudfeld, Cody Kessler, and Clayton Thorson.
In case you missed last week’s primer on the OTAs, here are a few reminders ...
• For the first time this spring, the Eagles are permitted to have 11-on-11 sessions during the practices. Players are not wearing full pads – shells and shorts, with helmets, is the uniform for OTAs – and there is no contact and certainly no tackling. Quarterbacks wear red jerseys, which means DO NOT TOUCH!
• In addition to 11-on-11 work, the Eagles for the first time can conduct 7-on-7 sessions as well as 9-on-7 sessions.
• The practices are voluntary.
• Head coach Doug Pederson will address the media on Tuesday and the Eagles will have offensive coordinator Mike Groh and defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz meet the media in Tuesdays to follow. Pederson will wrap up the OTA period with a press conference on June 13 and then the Eagles break until Training Camp begins at the NovaCare Complex in late July.
• There is no official depth chart and there won’t be an official depth chart until the preseason begins in August.