Carson Wentz is back.
Head coach Doug Pederson announced that Wentz has been medically cleared for contact and will start at quarterback on Sunday as the Eagles host the Indianapolis Colts. It will be his first start in more than nine months.
"He's excited, he's ready," Pederson said. "Our plan was in place, he understood it, he embraced that, and now he's ready."
Wentz tore his ACL last year when diving into the end zone during a play against the Los Angeles Rams on December 10. He had surgery three days later and missed the rest of the 2017 season as Nick Foles stepped in at quarterback and led the Eagles to a Super Bowl Championship.
Before his injury, the second overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft was an MVP candidate, leading the 11-2 Eagles to the top of the NFC standings. In just 13 games, he completed 265 of 440 passes (60.2 percent) for 3,296 yards with a franchise-record 33 touchdowns and a 101.9 quarterback rating.
"Just watching him move around physically and some of the things he's done, he's ready," Pederson said. "He's ready to take the reins again and move forward."
In Training Camp, Wentz was limited, participating primarily in individual and 7-on-7 drills. He did not play in any preseason games.
With Wentz officially cleared by the Eagles’ medical staff, he will have a full week’s worth of practice before he plays against the Colts this Sunday.
"He's a guy that will be totally prepared. He comes in early, studies the tape," Pederson said. "He's going to be prepared mentally, now it's just about the physical part taking over."