The third phase of the game, special teams, was a trouble spot for the Eagles on Sunday in the 33-26 loss at Arizona. Multiple mistakes cost the Eagles points that they just couldn't afford to give away.
1. In the first quarter, with the Cardinals ahead 10-0, Cameron Johnston came on to punt on a fourth-and-19 situation at the Philadelphia 42-yard line. But Ezekiel Turner burst up the middle, beating long snapper Rick Lovato, and Johnston never had a chance as Turner blocked the punt and Arizona recovered at the Eagles' 6-yard line.
Two plays later, Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray completed a pass to running back Chase Edmonds for a touchdown and Arizona extended its lead to 16 points. It was one of several mistakes the Eagles made in a first quarter during which the Eagles fell behind 16-0.
"We self-destructed, man," Head Coach Doug Pederson said, pointing out the blocked punt, a safety taken by quarterback Jalen Hurts, and a few instances when the Eagles made mental mistakes lining up offensively and committing penalties defensively.
2. In the third quarter, with Johnston out for the game as he was being evaluated for a head injury, quarterback Jalen Hurts ran 7 yards for a touchdown to complete an 80-yard scoring drive to tie the score at 26-26, but the Eagles failed to take the lead when Lovato's snap on the point-after kick skidded back to new holder Zach Ertz, replacing Johnston, and placekicker Jake Elliott never had a chance to kick the PAT.
3. Early in the fourth quarter on a fourth-and-2 play, Arizona lined up for an apparent punt, but punter Andy Lee instead floated a pass to Turner, who released up the middle and beat Marcus Epps into the clear and caught Lee's pass for a 26-yard gain to the Philadelphia 41-yard line. The Eagles' defense held, though, stopping Arizona on a fourth-and-2 play to take possession of the football with the game tied at 26-26.
4. The return game struggled as Boston Scott averaged just 18.8 yards on five kickoff returns as Arizona clearly wanted to take its chances in coverage against the Eagles' kickoff return team, which has not been entirely productive throughout the season.
5. Elliott punted twice with Johnston sidelined and averaged 38.5 yards. Johnston didn't post his best numbers on his three punts, averaging 38.3 yards with one kick inside the 20-yard line and one touchback.