FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The 2018 preseason debut of quarterback Nick Foles was, largely, a forgettable one. The good news is that he is going to be healthy enough to enjoy another day.
Foles struggled through a 3-of-9 passing performance in the 37-20 loss on Thursday night at New England, but what was more concerning was an injury he suffered early in the second quarterback when New England defensive end Adrian Clayborn beat struggling left tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai to strip-sack Foles. The quarterback immediately grabbed his right arm/chest area as the ball popped loss. New England's Ja'Whaun Bentley recovered the loose ball and returned it 54 yards for a touchdown, but the immediate concern was Foles and his apparent injury.
He was taken to the sidelines and evaluated by the team's medical staff and shortly thereafter it was announced that Foles suffered a strained shoulder. Foles said after the game that he was "optimistic" the injury was nothing more than that. He stayed on the sidelines for the remainder of the game.
"I was getting ready to throw a deep ball and it got grabbed as I was following on through so it sort of got a little strained," Foles said. "So, you know, I was with the trainers, I'll go in tomorrow and get treatment on it and sort of go from there. But it feels alright, feels pretty good. Hopefully there's no issues.
"When you're following on through on a deep ball and somebody grabs your arm when you're going, it's not the best feeling. But I feel optimistic about it and I'm excited to get into treatment tomorrow and just get this thing moving forward."
The Eagles have two preseason games remaining, including Thursday's nationally televised game against Cleveland, and Foles would like to see more time before the regular season begins.
"It would mean a lot. I mean, I'd be back on the playing field with the guys so that's my goal, that's what I feel like's going to happen," he said. "But once again, you sort of have to go through the proper channels and proper protocols with all this, so I'll find out more information tomorrow and then go from there."
Foles threw for just 44 yards in his quarter-plus of action. He wasn't sharp. The offense was out of sorts. But Foles appears to have escaped any serious injury, fingers crossed. He wasn't the only player to suffer an injury. He is the list from the loss in New England.
- Wide receiver Bryce Treggs left the game with a hamstring injury after catching a pair of passes for 23 yards. He just is having trouble staying healthy.
- Tight end Richard Rodgers caught a pretty touchdown pass from Nate Sudfeld but appeared to injure his knee on the play and, after standing on the sidelines for some time, was taken to the locker room on a cart.
- Defensive back Stephen Roberts was taken to the locker room on a cart with an ankle injury.
- Tight end Joshua Perkins was taken into the locker room to be evaluated for a head injury and did not return.
- Wide receiver Kamar Aiken suffered a hamstring injury.
- Tackle Taylor Hart was carted off after suffering cramps.
Take a look at all the photos from the Eagles' second preseason game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium.