- Asante Samuel reported to training camp on Monday morning. He didn't practice, but he is here and everything is fine and, well, that is one concern for fans to file into the background. Samuel missed the first handful of days due to personal reasons.
- The experimenting continues at right guard. Fifth-round draft pick Julian Vandervelde took reps with the first team on Monday morning. The Eagles are still waiting for first-round draft pick Danny Watkins to sign his contract and report. Watkins is falling deeper into the depth chart with every practice that he misses. Howard Mudd isn't a coach who is going to go with reputation. He wants to see Watkins on the field, and Watkins needs to be here to earn playing time.
- I haven't checked this out, but maybe you can to verify what a long-time Eagles employee told me: The last time the Eagles went with rookies and punter and kicker was in 1980 with Max Runager (punter) and Tony Franklin (kicker). That team went to the Super Bowl.
- Alex Henery, by the way, was money in the special teams portion of drills on Monday. He looks better and better to me. Chas Henry has a huge leg at punter. He needs to be more consistent, which is going to come with the more technique he perfects.
- I'm still trying to figure out what Juan Castillo is running as far as a scheme, but the defense sure looks fast to me, especially up front. The "get off" of the defensive linemen is much faster than in years past.
- Rookie Jaiquawn Jarrett took reps as the starter at strong safety, with Nate Allen at free safety. Allen looks really, really good.
- There are several names on this roster that are hard to spell, in case you care about the peculiar difficulties of this job.
- Rookie free agent Craig Cooper looks pretty good to me at running back. He seems to be getting a lot of reps.
- There is a long way to go before the regular season, but remember when I said that it's going to be tough for rookies to earn playing time? Well, Henry and Henery are the specialists, Casey Matthews is starting at middle linebacker and Jarrett is making his move at strong safety. Also, Vandervelde is stating his case for playing time at guard.
- Quiet on the DeSean Jackson front, although speculation suggests he will get to camp later this week.
- Still no word on Jeremy Maclin's personal issues.
- Mike Patterson is responding well to Jim Washburn's demands. I think Patterson is going to be quicker and lighter off the ball this year.
- The Eagles have some serious depth at cornerback. I like Brandon Hughes and Jorrick Calvin had a good morning on Monday. Curtis Marsh shows some big-time talent, but he has some rough moments, too. He has work to do. Trevard Lindley has made some plays throughout camp.
Philadelphia Eagles News
Davion Taylor: 'I've got to earn it, every bit of it'
After making strides in 2021, the third-year linebacker embraces the battle in his position group.
Patience and vision: The Eagles' plan lands a proven veteran
Howie Roseman and the personnel staff understood the free-agent market, providing a pathway to add Jaquiski Tartt.
Eagles agree to terms with S Jaquiski Tartt
The veteran comes to Philadelphia on a one-year deal to add depth and competion to the defensive backfield.
Eagles know you can never be too deep at defensive tackle
The defense wants to wreck opposing offenses from the inside out. Adding first-round pick Jordan Davis to an already talented group provides another layer of insurance.
What's next for Michael Clay's special teams in Year 2?
The special teams coordinator recently explained the development he's seen in his group this offseason.
Eagles 'fired up' for Training Camp
The offseason program wrapped up on Wednesday with both players and coaches encouraged by the progress made this spring.
'We can only go up from there'
As the Eagles' offseason program winds down, the players reflect on what they've accomplished this spring.
Shane Steichen discusses playcalling duties, offseason additions
The offensive coordinator also provides insight on the development of quarterback Jalen Hurts.
'We're here to work and to make a difference'
The 25th Eagles Playground Build provided an opportunity to connect with the West Philadelphia community.
James Bradberry: 'The goal is to be great together'
The new cornerback and Defensive Coordinator Jonathan Gannon outlined the process of meshing individual talents and scheme.
'Always building': Revisiting the mantra of the 2022 offseason
The Eagles laid out a plan to improve the roster and the team has utilized every avenue to do just that.