Here's a look at some of the news and notes from Sunday's 29-10 win that you might have missed.
Carson Wentz's Debut
- Carson Wentz became the first Eagles rookie QB to start a season opener since Davey O'Brien on 9/17/39 vs. Washington. Wentz is the first Eagles rookie QB to play on opening day since Randall Cunningham in 1985.
- Wentz is the first Eagles rookie QB to win a game since Nick Foles on 12/9/12 at Tampa Bay (W, 23-21). He is also the first Eagles rookie QB to win a home game since Donovan McNabb on 1/2/00 vs. St. Louis (W, 38-31).
- Wentz's 278 passing yards were the fourth-most ever by an Eagles rookie QB (record is held by Nick Foles, 381 on 12/9/12 at TB), as well as the most by an Eagles rookie QB in his first career start since at least 1960.
- Wentz posted a 101.0 passer rating, the highest mark by an Eagles rookie QB since John Reaves (104.4) on 12/17/72 at St. Louis (min. 20 pass attempts).
- Since at least 1960, only three NFL rookie QBs have posted 275 passing yards, 2 passing TDs and 0 INTs in a season opener: Wentz, Robert Griffin III in 2012 and Jim Kelly in 1986.
- Wentz engineered a nine-play, 75-yard scoring drive on his first career NFL possession (19-yard passing TD to Jordan Matthews). Wentz went 4-of-5 for 57 yards, including five first downs, on the opening drive. It was the first time the Eagles scored a TD on a season-opening drive since 9/7/08 vs. St. Louis.
Jordan Matthews Hits The 100-Yard Plateau
- Jordan Matthews finished with 114 yards on seven receptions, including one TD. Matthews' 114 receiving yards marked his eighth career 100-yard game and the fourth-highest single-game total of his career. Matthews has produced 100 receiving yards in three of his last four contests dating back to 2015.
- Matthews has now recorded 50 receiving yards and 1 TD in four straight games, the longest streak by an Eagles player since Terrell Owens (four games) during the 2004 campaign.
- Matthews is the first Eagles player since at least 1960 to post 100 receiving yards in consecutive season openers (102 yards at Atlanta in 2015).
Other Impressive Performances
- Zach Ertz (58 yards on six receptions) has posted 5 catches and 50 receiving yards in five straight games, the longest streak by an Eagles player since Jeremy Maclin (five games) in 2011.
- Darren Sproles, who totaled 59 yards on four punt returns vs. Cleveland (including a 40-yard punt return in the first quarter), surpassed Bosh Pritchard (975) for the fifth-most punt return yards (1,011) in Eagles history.
- Fletcher Cox has recorded at least one sack in four of his five career performances on Opening Day, including a previous takedown of Robert Griffin III vs. Washington in 2013.
The Best In Interconference Games
- The Eagles defense forced three straight three-and-outs to open the game and did allow a Browns first down in the first quarter.
- The Eagles have won each of their last five games against the Browns. Philadelphia's five-game winning streak vs. Cleveland is the club's second-longest active streak against any NFL opponent (10 games vs. N.Y. Jets).
- Since 2014, the Eagles have posted the NFL's best winning percentage in interconference games, going 8-1 (.889) vs. AFC teams.
- Philadelphia has won five of its last six kickoff weekend contests since 2011, as well as seven of their last nine season openers since 2008.
- Since 2004, the Eagles have won four of their last five season-opening games at Lincoln Financial Field.
- Doug Pederson is the first Eagles head coach to win his first home game with the team since Dick Vermeil on 9/19/76 vs. N.Y. Giants at Veterans Stadium (W, 20-7).