Philadelphia Eagles News

Eagles Lose Heartbreaker To Titans, 26-23, In Overtime

The Eagles fell to the Titans in heartbreaking fashion, 26-23, in an overtime thriller at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee.

The Eagles tied the game at 20-20 with a late Jake Elliott field goal that forced overtime. In overtime, they took the ball first and regained the lead with another field goal. But the Titans then took the ball, converted three fourth downs, and scored a game-winning touchdown with five seconds left remaining in the overtime period.

"You have to hate this feeling more than you like winning," head coach Doug Pederson said after the game. "Nobody's going to feel sorry for us so we don't feel sorry for ourselves. We just gotta continue to work and getting better."

Quarterback Carson Wentz completed 33 of 50 passes for 348 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions and a fumble. In his first game of 2018, wide receiver Alshon Jeffery picked up 105 yards on eight receptions with one touchdown. Tight end Zach Ertz led all receivers with 10 receptions for 112 yards.

In the game's first possession, the Eagles' defense allowed the Titans to go down the field early on a deep pass to wide receiver Corey Davis. Drops stalled the drive and a 42-yard Ryan Succop field goal gave Tennessee a 3-0 lead.

The Eagles gained a couple first downs thanks to big plays from Ertz and running back Jay Ajayi on their first possession, but pressure broke up plays and forced them to punt from midfield.

The Eagles' defense got to Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota on the next drive as defensive end Michael Bennett forced an incompletion and then recorded his first sack as an Eagle. The Eagles got the ball back after four Tennessee plays, but a sack and a dropped pass helped the Titans' defense stop the Eagles in four plays as well.

The Eagles' defense bent but didn't break on the next possession, as the Titans gained two first downs and got out from within their own 7-yard line, but stalled at midfield. The first quarter ended with the Titans leading 3-0.

To begin the second quarter, Wentz found Jeffery for his first reception of the 2018 season. Wentz followed that up by connecting with Agholor for another first down, but the Eagles were stopped again at midfield and punted.

It was more of the same on the other side of the ball in a first-half defensive battle, as the Eagles allowed two first downs but forced another punt at midfield.

Starting at their own 3-yard line, the Eagles finally got the drive they had been waiting for. Runs by running back Wendell Smallwood and completions to Ertz brought the Eagles to their own 44.

On first-and-10, Wentz found a streaking Jordan Matthews behind the defense for a 56-yard touchdown. The Eagles' longest drive in four seasons gave them a 7-3 lead with 4:04 left in the first half.

The defense rode the momentum as Tennessee native Derek Barnett recorded a sack on first down and the Eagles forced a quick three-and-out.

Penalties and poor protection doomed a promising Eagles drive and they punted with 49 seconds to go. But on first down for the Titans, rookie cornerback Avonte Maddox grabbed his first career interception and brought it to the 17.

The Eagles took the ball with 26 seconds left, but couldn't find the end zone. They managed to get some points off the turnover with a 27-yard field goal by Elliott to end the first half with the score 10-3 in favor of the visitors.

Jeffery proved he was back in a major way on the first drive of the second half. After Ertz and fellow tight end Dallas Goedert receptions moved the ball, Jeffery made a contested catch at the 8-yard line.

Penalties nearly derailed the drive, but on third-and-goal at the 16, Wentz found Jeffery in the end zone for another contested catch. The touchdown made it 17-3 Eagles after a drive that lasted more than seven minutes.

The Titans answered right back, however, with three completions of more than 15 yards, as well as a 20-yard pass interference call on cornerback Jalen Mills, which helped Tennessee march into the red zone. On second-and-goal from the 2-yard line, Mariota kept the ball and ran in the touchdown to make it 17-10 with 2:51 left in the third.

Second-down completions to Ajayi and Nelson Agholor moved the chains for the Eagles in a drive that took the game into the fourth quarter. But then, the offensive line broke down as Wentz was sacked twice. The second sack, by rookie Harold Landry, resulted in a fumble that was recovered by Tennessee defensive end Derrick Morgan at the Eagles' 35.

Tennessee methodically moved the ball with short plays and a fourth-and-1 conversion, but the Eagles stiffened in the red zone and stopped on third-and-12. Succop then hit a 33-yard field goal to make it 17-13 with 9:18 to play.

The Titans' defense rode the momentum and forced a three-and-out on the next possession. Mariota took the ball at the Tennessee 25 and found Davis for a 51-yard gain on the first play. Four plays later, Mariota found wide receiver Tajae Sharpe for an 11-yard touchdown that put the Titans up 20-17 with 5:01 remaining.

The Eagles needed a drive and didn't get one. Runs and a reception by Smallwood brought the Eagles to midfield, but the drive stalled there. The Eagles elected to punt on fourth-and-4 with 2:59 remaining.

The defense got the quick stop it needed and forced a three-and-out. The Eagles called their first timeout with 1:51 remaining.

On the ensuing punt, wide receiver DeAndre Carter, just added to the active roster from the practice squad on Saturday, took the punt 42 yards down the sideline to the Titans' 39. The Eagles moved the ball to the Titans' 19 with completions by Ertz and Jeffery.

After two incompletions and a short pass to Smallwood, the Eagles settled for a game-tying 30-yard field goal by Elliott with 16 seconds left. The Titans got the ball back, took a knee, and the game went to overtime tied at 20-20.

The Eagles won the coin toss and received the ball to start overtime. The Eagles wasted little time moving the ball down the field, but the drive once again came to a halt in the red zone, forcing them to settle for a 37-yard field goal that extended the game with 3:19 remaining. A stop by the defense would have given the Eagles the victory.

Two runs gave the Titans a first down. But after a deep drop, incompletions, and a penalty, the Titans faced fourth-and-15. Mariota found Taylor for a 19-yard gain and an incredible first down. The Eagles then appeared to have a stop on fourth-and-4, but a pass interference penalty on Sidney Jones gave the Titans another first down.

After a sack and a screen for negative yards, the Titans faced fourth-and-2 at the 32. The Tennessee offense stayed out and converted with a 17-yard completion to running back Dion Lewis on a screen with less than a minute to play. Three plays later, Mariota found Davis for a 10-yard, game-winning touchdown, ending a 16-play, 75-drive march to victory.

The Eagles dropped to 2-2 with the loss. They will host the Minnesota Vikings (1-2-1) next week in a rematch of last year's NFC Championship Game.

Check out the best photos from the Eagles' Week 4 game against the Tennessee Titans.

Related Content