After five weeks of Training Camp and three preseason games, the Eagles selected the players who comprise the initial 53-man roster on Tuesday. However, the work is far from over as the Eagles will check the waiver wire and formulate a practice squad starting on Wednesday as the preparation for the regular-season opener in Detroit on September 11 has begun in earnest.
"A lot of good people that we let go today, and a lot of hard conversations," said Executive Vice President/General Manager Howie Roseman. "We were just talking about how we have to snap out of it and kind of get back to work, but part of what we're trying to build here is caring about the people that are on our team and in our building, so when you have days like this, it kind of gets emotional.
"Just wish all those guys well and thank them for everything they did, and hopefully we can get some of them back."
Here is a position-by-position look at the initial 53, listed in alphabetical order:
Running Back (3)
Wide Receiver (5)
"I think when you look at Jalen (Reagor), one of the things that one of our scouts said to me today is he was one of the only guys that practiced every day. The guy brought it every day. He worked on his craft. He had a great attitude, great energy. Obviously, he's a talented guy. He's 23 years old," Roseman said. "We're going to do whatever we think is in the best interest of the team, and we felt like there was no doubt in our mind that he deserved a role on this team."
Tight End (3)
Offensive Line (10)
"We had a lot of tough decisions on the offensive line," Roseman said. "Feel very fortunate to have the offensive line group we have. Obviously, we talk a lot about Stout (Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Jeff Stoutland) and how he coaches those guys, and that was probably the toughest position group for us to kind of cut down.
"When you talk about Sills, he's 6-5, he's 330 pounds, he has long arms. He's powerful, he's versatile. He can play inside or outside. I'm not putting him in Canton -- I'm starting to listen to my own description, and it sounds unbelievable."
The Eagles announced the initial 53-man roster after Tuesday's 4 PM final cutdown.
Defensive Line (9)
"It's unbelievable. Reed is one of those guys, he started the last man in that group, and every day, like Coach (Sirianni) says, we evaluate practice every day, we evaluate everything he did, and he continued to show up. He had a feel," Roseman said. "I don't want to put too high expectations on him, but he kind of reminded me of a guy like Quintin Mikell who we had here. He has physical tools, but he's always around the ball, and credit to him and our coaches for putting him in position to make plays. We wanted to recognize that because we had a smaller draft class, we wanted to give everyone an opportunity to make this team."
Here is a look at the moves that the Eagles made to get down to 53:
• Trade: The Eagles acquired safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and a 2025 seventh-round pick from the Saints in exchange for a 2023 fifth-round pick and a 2024 sixth-round pick (the later of the Eagles' two selections).
• Placed on Injured Reserve: WR Greg Ward
• Released: WR Deon Cain, T Le'Raven Clark, S Anthony Harris, TE Richard Rodgers, S Jaquiski Tartt, C Cameron Tom
• Waived: WR Devon Allen, C/G Jack Anderson, G/T Kayode Awosika, CB Josh Blackwell, RB Kennedy Brooks, S Andre Chachere, WR Britain Covey, LB Christian Elliss, CB Mario Goodrich, CB Tay Gowan, WR John Hightower, RB Jason Huntley, DE Matt Leo, CB Mac McCain, QB Reid Sinnett, LB JaCoby Stevens, QB Carson Strong, TE Noah Togiai, CB Kary Vincent, DT Marvin Wilson, DT Renell Wren
• Waived with an injury designation: DT Kobe Smith