Philadelphia Eagles News

Westbrook Sidelined With Concussion

Brian Westbrook got the ground game going early Monday night, with 13 yards on three carries. However, his last run -- a 5-yard burst up the middle at the 7:12 mark of the first quarter -- took its toll on the Eagles' running back. Westbrook suffered a concussion when his helmet collided with the right knee of Redskins linebacker London Fletcher.

Following the game, head coach Andy Reid was optimistic about his running back's health and would not rule out the possibility of Westbrook suiting up for the divisional showdown against the Giants on Sunday. However, Reid said Westbrook must first pass a battery of post-concussion tests.

"He's feeling pretty good right now," Reid said. "We just have to see how he tests out. We're not going to put him out there if he's at risk."

It was a scary moment as Westbrook laid motionless on FedEx Field for several minutes, while players, coaches and even fans appeared visibly concerned.

Left guard Todd Herremans was right there when it happened. Not aware that Westbrook had been knocked unconscious, the 6-6, 321-pound lineman tried to help him up.

"I stuck my hand out and he didn't reach back for it and I looked at his eyes and he was just sleeping," Herremans said. "I immediately called for someone to come out. Stuff like that happens. It's a physical game. It was one of my more scary moments."

Reid, who said he had a hard time seeing exactly what happened, went out to check on Westbrook's condition.

"If a player's not moving, that worries me," said Reid, who, along with Brian's younger brother, Byron, a reserve for the Redskins, stood nearby as the medical staff tended to the injured running back.

Meanwhile, players like Quintin Mikell were praying.

"It looked bad," Mikell said. "Anytime a guy is just out like that and not responding, you don't know what's going on."

Rooke LeSean McCoy, the player impacted most by Westbrook's injury, said his first concern was for Westbrook, his teammate and friend.

"It was scary," McCoy said. "I was more worried about his condition and his safety than getting out there and playing, especially with the relationship I have with him."

Fortunately, Westbrook regained consciousness and walked gingerly off the field. He watched the second half from the sidelines in street clothes.

"He looked fine when he came back out there," said McCoy, who finished with 67 yards on 19 touches. "I think he'll be fine. He's tough. He's played through so many injuries. Hopefully, he's ready to roll."

Said Herremans: "Thank God he's fine, walking around, awake."

-- Posted by Bob Kent, 1:45 p.m., October 27

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content