Philadelphia Eagles News

Sproles, Eagles Fly To 30-27 Comeback Win

The Eagles marched into Indianapolis and made it hard on themselves once again. But in the end, Darren Sproles and the Eagles made the right plays when they counted the most and staged their second comeback win in as many weeks to top the Colts, 30-27, on a 36-yard field goal from Cody Parkey as time expired.

Nick Foles and the Eagles drove the majority of the field and Parkey nailed the game-winner against the team with which he spent Training Camp and the majority of the preseason.

The Eagles struck first Monday night after forcing a three-and-out from the Colts. The Birds' offense staged a 72-yard drive that resulted in a 31-yard Parkey field goal.

From there, the Indianapolis offense took over the first half, racking up two touchdowns and a field goal behind an unexpectedly powerful running game. Indianapolis's gunslinging quarterback Andrew Luck didn't eclipse 75 yards passing in the first half, well below his career average pace, but the Colts still managed to score 17 first-half points.

The Colts took a 17-6 lead into halftime after capitalizing on a five-and-a-half-minute drive, capped by a two-yard touchdown pass from Luck to tight end Jack Doyle. Parkey kicked a 23-yard field goal with six and a half minutes to go in the half after another Eagles drive ended tantalizingly close to the end zone.

The Eagles took a few minutes to get it rolling in the third quarter and the Colts added another field goal to take a 20-6 lead. But then LeSean McCoy and the Eagles' offense turned it into quite a game.

Foles and McCoy took the Eagles on an 80-yard drive in just over two minutes, to make it a one-possession game, and Fletcher Cox forced a fumble on the ensuing Indianapolis possession to give the Eagles the ball at the 26-yard-line. After four plays, Eagles running back Darren Sproles broke a rush to the right side of the field and broke a pair of near-tackles en route to the Eagles' second touchdown in 112 game seconds, tying the score at 20-20 heading into the final quarter.

The Colts responded to the Eagles' third-quarter explosion by putting together a 12-play, 80-yard drive to take a 27-20 lead and seemed on the verge of another score before Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins came up with a game-changing red-zone interception with just over five minutes to play.

Sproles capitalized on an exhausted Indianapolis defense and broke a screen pass for 51 of his game-high 152 receiving yards, taking the ball inside the Colts' 10-yard line. On the very next play, Foles found wide receiver Jeremy Maclin for a six-yard touchdown pass, tying the game at 27.

The Eagles defense then stepped up by forcing a three-and-out for Luck and the Colts with just over three minutes remaining in the game. The Eagles then took the ball and marched down the field in the final two minutes to put the ball within field goal range. After nailing the would-be game-winner only to find out that Colts head coach Chuck Pagano had called time out prior, Parkey doubled down on the clutch kick to give the Eagles the come-from-behind 30-27 win. At 2-0, the Eagles sit atop the the NFC East.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content