Skip to main content
Philadelphia Eagles

Philadelphia Eagles News

Second Quarter Review: Eagles Up 17-10

The Eagles started the first quarter in Dallas territory with a 3-0 lead. On the first play of the quarter, Nick Foles lofted up a prayer, and Jason Avant answered, making an amazing catch down at the three-yard line. On the very next play, Foles would find LeSean McCoy for a three-yard touchdown. Two plays into the second quarter, the Eagles led 10-0.

Dwayne Harris returned the ensuing kick to the 36-yard line, but the Cowboys couldn't do anything with the ball. On a third-and-two play, Kyle Orton's pass, intended for Jason Witten, fell incomplete. Chris Jones' second punt of the night would give the Eagles the ball at their own 18-yard line.

After two plays, the Eagles faced a third-and-five. Foles would extend the play as long as he could before taking the sack from Jason Hatcher. Donnie Jones came in for the first time and boomed a 45-yard punt down to the Cowboys 34-yard line.

The Cowboys offense once again stalled on their first two plays, setting up a third-and-twelve situation. The Cowboys then converted on their biggest play of the night to that point, as Orton found Terrance Williams down the seam for a gain of 39 yards. DeMarco Murray would pick up another first down, setting the Cowboys up deep in Eagles territory at the 17-yard line. On the next play, Orton found tight end Gavin Escobar who would make an acrobatic leap over Nate Allen into the end zone. With 8:16 remaining in the half, the Eagles lead was cut to 10-7.

Dan Bailey's kick would be sent out of the back of the end zone, giving the Eagles the ball at their own 20. After two plays picked up two yards, Foles would find Avant over the middle for a first down, up to the Eagles 39-yard line. A few plays later, McCoy would run the ball up the middle into Cowboys territory, setting the Eagles single-season rushing record in the process. After a sack and a short run, the Eagles faced a third-and fourteen, and Foles' pass fell incomplete setting up another punt.

Jones would hit another good punt, but Brandon Boykin was called for fair catch interference, moving the ball to Dallas' 25-yard line with just over four minutes remaining in the half. After a couple of Murray runs, the Cowboys faced third-and-nine, but Orton would find Witten for a big first down, as the clock ticked down to the two-minute warning. On the very next play, Orton's pass bounced off of Witten's hands and into Kendricks' mitts, giving the Eagles the ball back.

Looking to capitalize quickly, Foles went play action to find Brent Celek, who made an amazing leaping catch. On the next play, Foles would go to Celek again, who would cruise into the end zone, giving the Eagles a 17-7 lead with 1:19 to go in the half.

After a touchback, Kyle Orton would use his legs to pick up a first down. On the next play, Orton would connect with Witten again, taking the ball into Eagles territory. After another Witten first down, the Cowboys offense came up short, forcing a Bailey 44-yard field goal. With 18 seconds remaining in the half, the Eagles lead was cut to seven points.

The Eagles would kneel down to end the first half, taking a 17-10 lead into the locker room.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content