General manager Howie Roseman hinted that more roster moves were on the horizon and the Eagles continued to alter the team by claiming cornerback Shaun Prater off waivers from the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday. To make room on the 53-man roster, the Eagles waived/injured cornerback Curtis Marsh.
The 5-foot-10, 190-pound Prater was a fifth-round draft choice of the Bengals in 2012, but missed his entire rookie season due to a knee injury. He was a three-year starter for the University of Iowa where he recorded seven career interceptions. He also forced four fumbles as a senior. Prater earned All-Big Ten honors following his junior and season seasons.
Get To Know CB Shaun Prater
- Known as a tough run defender Prater forced four fumbles as a senior to lead the Hawkeyes.
- Enjoys MMA-type workouts and after his football career "would love to go work for the FBI."
- Has a twin brother, Shane, who also played at Iowa. Shaun won the right to be the older brother by a mere 20 seconds.
- Intrigued the Bengals with his "intelligence, strength to play press corner and movement to cover." Prater was also a gunner on special teams, which is key with the hand injury to Brandon Hughes.
- Transitioned from linebacker/safety in high school to corner at Iowa. Players whom he watched, "I watched Deion Sanders for his man coverage, Darrelle Revis for his press coverage. Off technique from Champ Bailey." He spent the time on the mend last season by filling up notebooks while scouting his teammates.
- Prater is the fourth Iowa alum on the active roster (joining Bradley Fletcher, Matt Tobin and Julian Vandervelde) which ties that school with Cincinnati (Connor Barwin, Brent Celek, Trent Cole and Jason Kelce) for the most players from one school on the Eagles.
The Eagles also agreed to terms with the following four players for the practice squad: tackle Michael Bamiro, linebacker Travis Long, wide receiver Greg Salas and running back Matthew Tucker.
|EAGLES BEGIN TO FORM PRACTICE SQUAD|
|T Michael Bamiro||Eagles||Signed with the Eagles after he was declared ineligble for the Supplemental Draft. Showed progress throughout preseason at the right tackle position. Boasts impressive size at 6-foot-8, 340 pounds. Worked with Tra Thomas before signing and will continue to do so as a member of the practice squad.|
|LB Travis Long||Eagles||Athletic edge rusher who signed with the Eagles in Training Camp after injury to Jason Phillips. A rookie free agent out of Washington State who fought back after suffering ACL injury in November. Had four tackles, a sack and a forced fumble for the Eagles in the preseason.|
|WR Greg Salas||Eagles||Made strong push for roster spot with seven catches for 107 yards and a touchdown in the preseason. Also made an acrobatic one-handed catch in preseason opener. Was one of the standout players early in Training Camp. Good slot receiver who got experience on the outside in the preseason.|
|RB Matthew Tucker||Eagles||Started Training Camp by failing initial conditioning test, but bounced back and scored two touchdowns in preseason finale. Tough sledding behind one of the deepest running back corps in the entire league. Has good size at 6-foot-1, 227 pounds and displays burst through the hole.|
Make sure to follow us on Twitter @EaglesInsider