EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Four turnovers, including three interceptions, proved costly as the Eagles fell to the Jets on the road, 20-14.
Adding insult to injury, Lane Johnson, Reed Blankenship, and Eli Ricks all left the game with injuries.
"The standard is the standard," Jalen Hurts said. "Today, we did not play to our standard."
Here is how the game transpired:
- TOUCHDOWN! Jalen Hurts ran it in on fourth-and-goal from the 3-yard line. The initial ruling was that he was down at the 1, but after review, it was ruled a touchdown. The drive went for an amazing 19 plays and 91 yards, lasting 9:47 seconds. Jake Elliott's extra point is good. Early on in the drive, Hurts and A.J. Brown connected for a magical play on third down to keep the offense moving. (Eagles 7 - Jets 0)
- The Jets answered with a field goal on their next drive. Greg Zuerlein's 43-yard kick was good. (Eagles 7 - Jets 3)
- The Jets tookover in great field position after Hurts' pass to Dallas Goedert bounced off the tight end's knee and into the hands of Quinnen Williams. Linebacker Jermaine Johnson was on scene to disrupt the screen pass.
- SACK! Haason Reddick got home to take down Zach Wilson before he could escape. A few plays later, the Jets went for it on fourth-and-short but failed to convert.
- TOUCHDOWN! Hurts found D'Andre Swift who bounced off multiple defenders and found his way into the end zone. The 9-yard score was capped off by Elliott's successful extra point. Two plays before, Hurts and Brown connected for a 49-yard reception that set the offense up with a goal-to-go scenario. (Eagles 14 - Jets 3)
- SACK! Jordan Davis and Brandon Graham swallowed up Wilson on third-and-10, forcing the Jets into a field goal. (Eagles 14 - Jets 6)
- With the Eagles driving, Swift fumbled and gave the ball back to the Jets at midfield. C,J. Mosley punched it loose and Quincy Williams recovered.
- The Jets capitalized on the turnover with another field goal. Zuerlein made his third of the half from 35 yards out. (Eagles 14 - Jets 9)
The Eagles are 12-0 all time against the New York Jets. Can they extend their unbeaten streak and improve to 6-0 on the season? Check out the gameday action photos from our team of photographers as the Philadelphia Eagles take on the New York Jets on Sunday, October 15 in Week 6 of the 2023 season.
- Right tackle Lane Johnson was ruled out with an ankle injury that he suffered on the opening drive of the game. Jack Driscoll was his replacement.
- "It is tough to see your teammate go down," Brown said. "Hopefully, he is OK and can get back with us really fast. It is the next man up mentality. Everybody has to step up and do their job."
- An illegal blindside block on Allen Lazard pushed the Jets out of field goal range. Safety Reed Blankenship, who took the hit, left the game with a rib injury and did not return.
- SACK! Haason Reddick again! He gobbled up Wilson for a loss of 12, forcing the Jets to take another field goal after an incomplete pass on third down. (Eagles 14 - Jets 12)
- With the Eagles driving, Jalen Hurts threw another interception, this time to Bryce Hall. Once again, Jermaine Johnson was there to disrupt the passer. Luckily, the Jets went three-and-out on the ensuing drive, one that was started by a Josh Sweat sack.
- Another scoreless drive for the Eagles' offense. Elliott missed his 37-yard field goal wide right. Hurts and Brown made another outstanding connection for 36 yards, but it did not pay off.
- SACK! Reddick and Milton Williams made the biggest sack of the game. They took down Wilson for a loss of 6 yards.
- On the first play out of the two-minute warning, Hurts was intercepted by Tony Adams, who returned the ball to the Philadelphia 8-yard line. On the next play, Breece Hall ran into the end zone for the go-ahead score. (Jets 20 - Eagles 14)
- "I did not do my job and I did not make the correct read on the play," Hurts said of the final turnover. "But it happens. It is an opportunity to learn and grow from it."
- The Eagles went four-and-out on their final offensive possession of the game and lost their first game of the season. The final play was a deep shot to DeVonta Smith that fell incomplete.
- "Regardless of who our opponent is, we have to execute in all three phases," Brown said. "I do not think we did that tonight."
PHI QB Jalen Hurts: 28/45, 280 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT
NYJ QB Zach Wilson: 19/33, 186 yards
PHI QB Jalen Hurts: 15 carries, 47 yards, 1 TD
NYJ RB Breece Hall: 12 carries, 39 yards, 1 TD
PHI WR A.J. Brown: 7 rec., 131 yards
NYJ WR Garrett Wilson: 8 rec., 90 yards
PHI CB James Bradberry: 5 tackles, 2 PD
PHI LB Haason Reddick: 5 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3 QBH, 2 TFL
PHI DE Josh Sweat: 2 tackles, 3 QBH, 2 TFL, 1 sack
NYJ LB Quincy Williams: 12 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD, 1 FR
NYJ LB C.J. Mosley: 9 tackles, 1 PD, 1FF
NYJ S Tony Adams: 7 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 INT, 1PD
PHI K Jake Elliott: 0/1 FG, 2/2 PAT, 2 points
NYJ Greg Zuerlein: 4/4 FG, 12 points