Whew! The Eagles overcame a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit for the first time since the Miracle at the New Meadowlands in 2010 to defeat the Indianapolis Colts 17-16 as Jalen Hurts scored on a 7-yard touchdown run up the middle with just 1:20 remaining to give Philadelphia its first lead of the day. The Eagles are 9-1 and a perfect 3-0 against the AFC South.
Penalties and turnovers flummoxed the offense all game long, but Hurts was magnificent in the fourth quarter as he finished the day with 190 passing yards, a 107.1 passer rating, a game-high 86 rushing yards, and two total touchdowns. Quez Watkins scored the Eagles' first touchdown of the day in the fourth quarter and DeVonta Smith led all players with 78 receiving yards.
The defense kept the Eagles in the game. After allowing a 75-yard touchdown drive on the first possession of the game, the Eagles held the Colts to three field goals. The Colts had four first downs on the opening drive, but just 10 first downs and 209 total yards the rest of the way. Linval Joseph and Ndamukong Suh made their Eagles debuts as running back Jonathan Taylor had 84 rushing yards and 3.8 yards per carry, while scoring a touchdown and losing a fumble. Quarterback Matt Ryan threw for 213 yards and Michael Pittman led the Colts with 75 receiving yards.
For those following from home, here are the in-game updates:
• The Eagles won the toss and deferred. They are 9-1 with the coin toss this season.
• Linval Joseph started at nose tackle. The Eagles got the Colts to 3rd-and-6 quickly, but Matt Ryan hit Michael Pittman on a slant over the middle for a 24-yard gain. On the next play, Jonathan Taylor rushed up the middle 28 yards to the Eagles' 19-yard line. Ndamukong Suh didn't start, but he came in during the drive. Ryan converted a 3rd-and-1 on a QB sneak to set up goal-to-go from the Eagles' 9-yard line. On 3rd-and-goal from the 1-yard line, Taylor rushed the ball in. Eight of the 10 plays on the drive were rushing attempts. Taylor gained 49 yards and scored the TD.
• It's 7-0 Colts with 9:37 remaining in the first quarter. It's the Colts' first opening drive points all season.
• Boston Scott is in at kickoff returner for Britain Covey.
• Eagles waste no time getting A.J. Brown involved. Brown gains 14 yards on the first play from scrimmage on a quick in-cutting route from the left side. Three plays later, on 3rd-and-2, Grant Calcaterra was called for a hold on what would have been a Miles Sanders run for a first down. On 3rd-and-12, Jalen Hurts throws over the middle into a crowd for DeVonta Smith and former Eagle Rodney McLeod broke it up. Colts take over at the 28 with 6:48 to go in the quarter.
• T.J. Edwards opened the Colts' second drive with a tackle for loss on a short pass in the flat to Taylor. But on the next snap, Ryan hit Pittman against Darius Slay for a 13-yard gain to make it 3rd-and-1. But nickel corner Josiah Scott did a great job of breaking up the short pass to Pittman on third down to force a punt. Covey maintains his role as the punt returner. Eagles take over at their 15 with 5:22 remaining in the quarter.
• Another drive for the Eagles starts with a pass to Brown. On an intermediate crossing route helped by pre-snap motion by Zach Pascal, Brown gained 29 yards. After a QB keeper gained 9 yards, Hurts connected with DeVonta Smith for 12 yards to the Colts' 46-yard line. The Eagles committed back-to-back penalties to make it 1st-and-25 from the 50. The Eagles got most of the yards back – 18 – on a slant to Brown, but Tyree Jackson was called for pass interference. Jackson is making his season debut to make it 1st-and-35. The Eagles got it to 3rd-and-11, but Hurts was sacked by linebacker Zaire Franklin and defensive end Yannick Ngakoue. Arryn Siposs punted the ball which was fair caught at the 10-yard line.
• Two offensive drives that started out fast for the Eagles, only to be undone by penalties.
• Ndamukong Suh and Kyzir White tackled Taylor to end the first quarter.
• On 2nd-and-10. Taylor cut his way through the defense to gain 11 yards and the first down. Two plays later, on 2nd-and-7, left tackle Bernhard Raimann was called for a holding penalty which stalled the drive. Covey returned the punt 13 yards to the Eagles' 42-yard line with 11:58 left in the half.
• QB SNEAK TIME! The Eagles converted a 3rd-and-1 with a Hurts sneak to extend the drive. Eagles are in Colts' territory. After attempting a shot play down the right sideline to DeVonta, Boston Scott gained 5 yards on an RB screen. On 3rd-and-5, Hurts kept the ball and scooted up the middle for the first down at the 35-yard line. Miles Sanders bounced to the outside and gained 10 yards on the right side on the next play. On 3rd-and-8, Hurts hits Quez Watkins behind the linebacker on a crossing route for the first down. Hurts kept the ball on 1st down and set up a goal-to-go situation from the 2-yard line. McLeod kept Hurts out of the end zone. On 2nd-and-goal, the snap to Hurts was high and the QB had to take the loss of 8 yards. Hurts scrambled for a short gain on 3rd down, but the Eagles had to settle for a 22-yard field goal.
It's 7-3 Colts with 4:50 left in the first half. The Eagles went 54 yards in 15 plays on the scoring drive. Hurts has 102 passing yards and 36 rushing yards to lead the Eagles.
• Colts convert a 2nd-and-10 with a short pass to tight end Mo Alie-Cox along the left sideline for a gain of 14. Rookie left tackle Bernhard Raimann was called for an illegal man downfield penalty, which eventually put the Colts in a 3rd-and-8. Javon Hargrave brought pressure and Ryan had to rush his throw and was incomplete. The punt went into the end zone and the Eagles will take over at their own 20 with 2:33 remaining.
• The Eagles faced 3rd-and-2 after the two-minute warning and Kenneth Gainwell was stoned for no gain by McLeod and linebacker Bobby Okereke. It's three-and-out for the Eagles. Colts take over at their own 45 after a Keke Coutee return of 17 yards with 1:43 left in the half.
• Josh Sweat brought pressure on first down, but Ryan was able to get the ball to Parris Campbell over the middle for a gain of 13. On 1st down, T.J. Edwards snuffed out yet another pass to a running back, this time to Deon Jackson for a 5-yard loss. On 3rd-and-7, Ryan hit Alec Pierce along the sideline to shorten the field goal attempt. Chase McLaughlin's 51-yard attempt squeaked through. It's now 10-3 Colts with 13 seconds left.
• The Eagles went for it all on the opening play of the third quarter, but Miles Sanders was unable to hold off Yannick Ngakoue long enough and the defensive end stripped the ball from Hurts. The fumble was recovered by Colts defensive tackle Grover Stewart at the Eagles' 22-yard line.
• On 3rd-and-5, Ryan threw the ball to the right side for Campbell. It looked like Josiah Scott knocked the ball down, but the referees signaled that it was a catch and a fumble that went out of bounds which would result in a first down for Indy. The Eagles challenged the ball. Eagles won the challenge. It's an incomplete pass. Colts settle for a 36-yard field goal off the turnover to extend their lead to 13-3 with 13:14 remaining in the third quarter.
• Hurts connects with DeVonta down the left side on a comeback route for 24 yards to the 50. Cornerback Isaiah Rodgers was injured covering Smith on the play. But the momentum was lost as on the next play, Lane Johnson was called for holding. The Eagles overcame the 1st-and-20 with back-to-back passes from Hurts to Smith, followed by a QB sneak on 3rd-and-1. Three plays later, Hurts' screen to Boston Scott lost a yard, so the Eagles went for it on 4th-and-10 from the Colts' 39. Hurts scrambled to his left, but with no options open, he was eventually sacked by DeForest Buckner. Colts take over at their own 45 with 8:56 left in the third.
• How about an instant impact? Linval Joseph and Ndamukong Suh combined for the sack of Ryan on 1st down. On 2nd-and-16, Michael Pittman was called for a hold to further push back the Colts. The Colts didn't recover and were forced to punt. Punter Matt Haack unleashed a beauty that went out of bounds at the Eagles' 5-yard line.
• Eagles get nothing going on offense. Sanders runs the ball three times, but on 3rd-and-2 is denied the first down by Ngakoue. Colts have good field position after Coutee fair catches the ball at the Indy 45. There's 4:57 left in the quarter.
• Right guard Will Fries was called for holding against Fletcher Cox, but one the next play, Ryan hit Pittman in a vacated area on the left side for 14 yards to convert 2nd-and-13. Ryan then bought time waiting for Kyler Granson open up on the left side and the tight end contorted his body in bounds to move the chains. Sensing the need to hold the Colts down, Defensive Coordinator Jonathan Gannon started sending extra bodies on run downs. After a 4-yard loss on a run blitz, Milton Williams sacked Ryan. McLaughlin's 50-yard attempt went wide right to keep it 13-3 with 35 seconds left in the quarter.
• Eagles run one play before the end of the quarter as Miles Sanders gained 6 yards. Several times on Sunday, Sanders appeared just one move away from a BIG run. It's 13-3 Colts entering the fourth quarter.
• After Sanders gained 6 yards for the first down, Hurts used his legs to weave his way through Indy's defense to gain 23 yards to the Colts' 22-yard line. Two plays later, Hurts connected with Quez Watkins for a 22-yard touchdown to make it 13-10 with 13:31 left in the game. Tight end Jack Stoll ran an out route to pull down the safety and open up space for Watkins who was crossing the field.
• Brandon Graham opened the next Colts' drive with a tackle for loss, but Ryan then hit Pittman over the middle for 16 yards. After stopping Taylor for no gain, Taylor came up and churned out 9 yards up the middle. On 3rd-and-1, Taylor muscled his way forward and drew a crowd. The refs never stopped the clock and Marcus Epps stripped the ball which was recovered by Edwards with 10:48 left. Eagles take over at their own 43.
• The Eagles lost the momentum from the turnover when A.J. Brown had the ball stripped the ball out by Zaire Franklin and it was recovered by defensive tackle Eric Johnson. Colts take over at their own 34.
• On 3rd-and-11, Ryan threw a dart to Alec Pierce despite tremendous coverage by Darius Slay to midfield to extend the drive and keep the clock moving. Four plays later, Ryan heaves the ball up for Parris Campbell, who hauled the ball in between Josiah Scott and C.J. Gardner-Johnson before going out of bounds at the 5-yard line. Haason Reddick came up with a HUGE sack on 3rd-and-goal to hold the Colts to a 37-yard field goal. It's 16-10 with 4:37 remaining in the game.
• Eagles to back to Brown, on the second play of the drive, to make it 3rd-and-2 from the Eagles' 33. On 3rd down, Hurts bought time for Miles Sanders to get open down the right sideline. Hurts aired the ball out and Zaire Franklin tackled Sanders before the ball got there to draw the flag. From the Indy 28, Sanders continues to make hay on the ground with a pair of runs to get another first down at the 17. The Eagles go three straight times to Boston Scott – one pass and two handoffs – to make it 4th-and-2 from the 9-yard line at the two-minute warning. The Eagles lined up for the QB sneak, trying to get Indy to jump offsides before taking a timeout. On 4th down, Hurts lined up in the shotgun, empty formation, and ran a draw 3 yards to get the first down at the 6. Sanders gained 2 yards on 1st down. On 2nd down, Hurts decided to keep the ball on the read and was smothered by the Colts' defense to the tune of a loss of 3 yards. On 3rd-and-goal, Hurts – out of the shotgun – rushed up the middle to a WIDE OPEN lane for the touchdown.
Eagles lead for the first time all day – 17-16 with 1:20 remaining. Colts have one timeout.
• Colts take over at their own 25 to start the drive after a touchback. Ryan's first play of the drive was an incomplete pass to Pierce along the right sideline in front of Slay. On 2nd down, Ryan hit Campbell on a quick slant and the receiver went up the middle for 14 yards. Ryan passed to Deon Jackson in the flat on first down for a gain of 1 to the Indy 40. On 2nd down, T.J. Edwards blitzed up the middle and helped force an incomplete pass. Out of shotgun on 3rd down, Brandon Graham comes up with the sack beating the rookie Raimann. The other rookie offensive lineman, right guard Will Fries, jumped early and added another 5 yards to make it 4th-and-21. Ryan was pressured and his dump pass to Jackson was well short of the sticks. The Eagles survive.