There are still 19 names to go before the Eagles reach the 53-man roster limit on Saturday at 6 p.m. Some will go on the Physically Unable to Perform List, some will go on Injured Reserve, some will be released and some will be traded. Exactly who, we don't yet know.
But there are enough storylines to think that maybe we have a handle on most of what the Eagles want to do, so let's kick around a few of them now ...
- The first wave of cuts was unspectacular. I would probably say that a couple of these players might get looks around the league, so the advice is to stay in shape. Could Cornelius Ingram, who appears to be almost all the way to his pre-injury athletic ability, have some value? How about wide receiver Rod Harper, who had a very nice training camp and then was so quiet in the preseason games? Fullback Stanley Havili never really challenged Owen Schmitt, but he has some upside. Same with running back Graig Cooper, who is absolutely not finished in this league.
- There is a great deal of patience being exercised in many areas, particularly the trade game. I don't think the Eagles are going to simply release cornerback Joselio Hanson. They will either keep him or they wiill trade him. To me, there is a cat-and-mouse game going on here as teams attempt to pay the smallest price possible for a quality cornerback.
- Guaranteed that general manager Howie Roseman is on top of things and ready to wheel and deal. I fully expect 3-4 roster spots to be fluid for the next couple of days. And the practice squad? You will see massive changes every couple of weeks.
- Great news on the injury front when an MRI revealed that quarterback Vince Young has only a strained hamstring. Young has completed 67 percent of his passes in the preseason and is listed as day to day as far as practice goes.
- Steve Smith talked to reporters after the preseason finale and continued his mantra that he is improving every day and that he is going to be able to play against the Rams. Do the Eagles give him game reps? Would he play a lot? At his best, Smith is a devastating route runner with great hands. Can he possibly have the burst and the cut-on-a-dime ability he had prior to undergoing knee surgery?
- Danny Watkins starts at right guard in St. Louis, but who is his backup? Is it fellow rookie Julian Vandervelde, or do the Eagles work in other options there? Those two players, plus center Jason Kelce, are rookies who are going to play a huge part along the offensive line this eason. That is amazing to me, and I give line coach Howard Mudd all kinds of credi. He knows what he wants and Mudd is extremely high on this rookie class.
- DeSean Jackson will return punts, Dion Lewis gets a crack at kickoff return and what else? Is there a player on the roster who stays because the Eagles need depth at those speciality spots?
- The Eagles went 3-1 in the preseason, which I am unlikely to mention the rest of the season.