The Eagles stay undefeated with a massive 34-31 divisional win over the Commanders.
Jake Elliott's 54-yard field goal won the game in overtime. A.J. Brown caught two touchdowns for 175 yards to spark a strong offensive performance. Linebacker Nicholas Morrow posted a career-high three sacks.
"We won in a different way than we've had to win so far this year," said Eagles Head Coach Nick Sirianni. "I think that builds character. I think that builds a tighter team. I think that builds trust. Defense comes out, they make a stop, the offense goes out and drives the ball into a position to score and the special teams converts to make a play. Those are all team-building things."
Here is how it happened:
- The Commanders got on the board first with a Curtis Samuel rushing touchdown. Joey Slye's extra point was good. The opening drive took 7:08 with a total of 14 plays. (Commanders 7, Eagles 0)
- TOUCHDOWN! D'Andre Swift continued his hot start to the season with a 5-yard rushing touchdown to answer Washington's opening drive. Swift tallied 28 total yards on a 12-play, 6:35 drive. Elliott's extra point was good! (Eagles 7, Commanders 7)
- The Commanders struck again, this time with a quick drive. Brian Robinson was headed for the end zone when Nicholas Morrow forced the ball loose. However, the ball was recovered in the end zone by Terry McLaurin for a touchdown. The play before, Terrell Edmunds had an opportunity to intercept Sam Howell but he bobbled the ball, dropping it to the ground. (Commanders 14, Eagles 7)
- SACK! Morrow got to Howell on third down!
- The Commanders added to their lead with a 27-yard field goal by Slye. (Commanders 17, Eagles 7)
- FIELD GOAL! Jake Elliott drilled a 41-yard field goal as the Eagles made it a one-possession game going into the half. The points were thanks to Jalen Hurts and DeVonta Smith, who connected on a 37-yard deep pass. (Commanders 17, Eagles 10)
- After a 28-yard pass to A.J. Brown, the offense stalled in Washington territory. Jake Elliott came on for the 47-yard kick and makes no mistake. (Commanders 17, Eagles 13)
- TOUCHDOWN! A.J. Brown had a day! He weaved his way through the Washington defense for a 59-yard touchdown. After a Commanders penalty for roughing the passer, the Eagles went for a two-point conversion and successfully completed it with a Kenneth Gainwell 1-yard rush up the middle. (Eagles 21, Washington 17)
- "Shoutout to my teammates blocking down field," Brown said. "I just got the ball and my teammates showed up for me."
- SACK! Morrow got to Commanders QB Sam Howell again on third down! This was his second sack of the game.
- FIELD GOAL! Jake Elliott hit a 36-yard field goal for his third make of the day. (Eagles 24, Commanders 17)
- The Commanders tied the game with a 15-yard touchdown rush from Brian Robinson. The 11-play drive lasted 6:14, another long drive by Washington. (Eagles 24, Commanders 24)
- SACK! Haason Reddick recorded a huge sack on second down, his first of the season. He pushed Washington into a third-and-22 situation, which they failed to convert.
- "I am happy to be on the board," Reddick said. "I have been dealing with a lot of stuff to get that first one, so definitely a weight lifted off my shoulders."
- TOUCHDOWN! Hurts and Brown connected again for a 28-yard score in the right back corner of the end zone. This was Brown's second touchdown of the game and it put the Eagles on top with 1:43 left in the game. (Eagles 31, Commanders 24)
- "I am growing every time I step on the field," Hurts said. "That is my goal. I want to get better every opportunity that I have."
- SACK! Morrow came in hot for his third sack of the game, taking Howell to the ground.
- "The biggest thing was feeling where the holes were and shooting through the gap," Morrow said.
- As time expired, the Commanders tied the game with a 10-yard touchdown pass to Jahan Dotson. Slye's extra point sent the game to overtime. (Eagles 31, Commanders 31)
It's Commanders vs. Eagles. The Eagles look to defend their perfect record and improve to 4-0. The Commanders are in search of a bounce-back effort after suffering their first loss last week against Buffalo. Washington came away with the win the last time these two teams met. What's on the horizon for this Sunday?
- Reed Blankenship's arm may have just saved the game for the Eagles. Terry McLaurin made a leaping catch on third down along the sideline, but stepped on Blankenship's arm which dragged the receiver's second foot out of bounds.
- "At the end of the day, I am glad my forearm was there," Blankenship said.
- EAGLES WIN! Elliott hit a 54-yard field goal to win the game in overtime! This was the longest game-winning field goal in franchise history since the 1970 merger. (Eagles 34 - Commanders 31)
- "It was well within my range," Elliott said. "I just wanted to go out there and hit a good ball." -Written by Owen Boyle
QB Jalen Hurts 25/37 for 319 yards with 2 TDs (112.3 QB rating)
QB Sam Howell 29/41 for 290 yards with 1 TD (98.6 rating)
RB D'Andre Swift 14 carries, 56 yards (4.0 avg.) with 1 TD
RB Brian Robinson 14 carries, 45 yards (3.2 avg.) with 1 TD
WR A.J. Brown 9 rec., 175 yards, 2 TDs
WR Terry McLaurin 8 rec., 86 yards
LB Zach Cunningham 13 tackles
LB Nicholas Morrow 11 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 FF
CB Darius Slay 11 tackles
S Kam Curl 12 tackles, 1 sack
K Jake Elliott 4/4 FG, 2/2 PAT, 54-yard game-winner, 14 points
K Joey Slye 1/1 FG, 4/4 PAT, 7 points