As we turn the page from the win over the 49ers and begin to look forward to Sunday's showdown with the Broncos, here are some leftover tidbits to hold you through ...
- The defense had a strong bounce-back effort from last week. The Eagles held the 49ers to 261 yards and 13 points. They were 0-for-11 on third downs. We had three sacks and came up with four takeaways. Maybe most important was the fact that we tackled well. Their receivers got very little yardage after the catch. That wasn't great Eagles defense, but it was good.
- The running game wasn't flashy, but it was effective. Leonard Weaver and LeSean McCoy combined for 26 carries and 100 yards. McCoy ran for a touchdown. Both guys are running hard. McCoy is more elusive. Weaver is stronger. Good combination.
- The linebacker situation is confusing. I'll be interested to see if Moise Fokou remains the starter on the strong side this week. He didn't get as many snaps as we hoped because San Francisco spent so much time in three receiver sets. We still need better play from middle linebacker. I thought Akeem Jordan did some good things on Sunday, but we need him to clearly grab that spot from Jeremiah Trotter.
- One reason for the win steak is improved red zone play. We were 3-of-5 on Sunday. Everyone deserves some credit. Marty Mornhinweg is doing a good job of calling plays. He mixed in throws to Celek and Avant. We're running pretty well. The line is opening holes for Michael Vick, McCoy, and Weaver. Better plays, more running and better execution leads to good red zone production.
- Quintin Mikell struggled against the Giants, but played well this past week. I was happy to see him get back to his normal level of play. Sheldon Brown had a terrific game. He covered well and forced a fumble.
- The stat sheet didn't show much for Juqua Parker, but he showed up on game tape. He was active and disruptive. Trent Cole had two sacks, but was quiet for stretches in the game. Chris Clemons had a sack and also caused an interception with good pressure.
For my complete recap of Sunday's game, check out my Fan-Demonium column ...
-- Posted by Tommy Lawlor, 10:34 a.m., December 22