The Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have signed QB Kevin Kolb to a one-year contract extension through the 2011 season. Kolb's contract had been set to expire at the end of the 2010 campaign.
"We're happy to have Kevin under contract for the next two seasons," said head coach Andy Reid. "When given the chance, Kevin has proven to have good command of this offense and we're looking forward to having him operate as the number one quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles."
Added Eagles general manager Howie Roseman, "We're excited about what we've seen from Kevin during his three seasons in Philadelphia both on and off the field. We're happy to get this contract in place for the near future and are looking forward to keeping Kevin in Philadelphia for many more years to come."
Said Eagles president Joe Banner, "I'd like to thank Kevin and his agent Jeff Nalley for their work in getting this contract signed. We're very happy with Kevin and all the attributes he brings to this organization and we're pleased to sign another young, ascending player to a contract. It's something that this organization has prioritized over the last several years."
A second round draft choice of the Eagles in 2007, Kolb spent the first three years of his career behind Donovan McNabb. When McNabb was injured in the season opener last year at Carolina, Kolb stepped into the starting lineup and became the first quarterback in NFL history to pass for 300 yards in his first two NFL starts. He threw for 391 yards vs. New Orleans on 9/20/08 and 327 yards a week later vs. Kansas City. In fact, the 25-year-old Kolb earned NFC Offensive player of the week honors for his performance against the Chiefs.
-- Posted by Bo Wulf, 3:33 p.m., April 29