Here's a recap of what happened on Wednesday at the practice fields of Lehigh University. The updates were provided by Bob Kent (BK), Chris McPherson (CM) and Bo Wulf (BW).
- 8:24 AM - This is the last workout exclusive to the rookies and selected veterans. The veterans are due to report tonight for a team dinner - the annual surf and turf welcome meal - and a team meeting. Donovan McNabb usually doesn't partake in this final rookie and selected vet practice. We'll see shortly if that holds true today. Obviously, the minds of everyone will be on Jim Johnson and his family, but I think it's safe to say he would want the team to continue preparing for the season. (CM)
- 8:40 AM - There is indeed no sight of McNabb today as it looks like he's been excused by the coaches from practice. The team has started off the morning working on punt coverage and punt return, with Danny Amendola receiving punts again. (BW)
- 9:00 AM - A few more absences to report from today's practice. Veterans Kevin Curtis and Max Jean-Gilles appear to both have gotten excused from the morning practice, although it's good news to see Stacy Andrews still out and working hard with the O-line. The other absence is a little more surprising, and that's rookie wide receiver Brandon Gibson, the team's 6th-round pick who has had a solid camp so far. We'll keep you posted when we get more information as to the reason for his absence. (BW)
- 9:35 AM - The team just ran some 7-on-7 drills, and it was highlighted by one of nicest plays of camp so far, and the clear play of the day. Byron Parker, the Canadian Football League all-star who has seen action at both safety and cornerback this camp, made a superb over-the-shoulder one-handed tip on a Kevin Kolb pass intended for Danny Amendola. The ball then floated in the air and was picked off by Macho Harris who was coming over as a safety and then put a nice move on Amendola to turn the ball upfield. There's been a palpable sense of camaraderie between the eight linebackers and cornerbacks who have been getting all the reps on defense so far this camp, especially among the DB's. Other notes from the drill include Jack Ikegwuonu blanketing Shaheer McBride to force an incompletion, Macho Harris being very physical at the line of scrimmage in his jam, and Danny Amendola continuing to find open spaces in the defense. (BW)
- 9:44 AM - The fans are out today to show their appreciation and respect for coach Jim Johnson. One fan in the bleachers held up a sign that read "You will be missed coach Jim," and indeed he will. (BK)
- 9:54 AM - Practice is over, and with that the portion of training camps for rookies and selected vets has come to a close. The morning finished with a red zone 7-on-7 that finished on a nice play by Shaheer McBride working his way back to a scrambling Kevin Kolb on a busted play for a 5-yard touchdown catch in the front right corner of the end zone. Macho Harris blanketed Brandon Robinson to force an incompletion at the beginning of the drill, but Robinson responded later by finding open room to score a 10-yard run and catch TD. Danny Amendola made a very nice touchdown catch sliding on his knees at the back of the end zone to haul in an A.J. Feeley pass from 10 yards out. And defensive coordinator Sean McDermott made his presence known by telling his defensive players that there is to be no walking on the playing field. (BW)
- 10:45 AM - Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg acknowledge in his press conference that rookie wide receiver Brandon Gibson sat out practice today with an undisclosed minor injury, and there's no word on when he'll be back. Mornhinweg said he could be ready for practice tomorrow or it could be a few more days. (BW)