The Eagles handled their business in the Windy City, escaping with a 25-20 win to improve to 13-1 to get one step closer to the NFC East title and home-field advantage throughout the postseason. Courtesy of Dallas' loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in overtime, the Eagles need to win one game or the Cowboys must stumble once down the stretch – and these two teams meet next Saturday on Christmas Eve.
Quarterback Jalen Hurts tied the franchise single-game rushing record with three touchdowns on the ground (second time in his career) and wide receiver A.J. Brown set a career-high with 181 receiving yards on nine receptions to pace the offense. DeVonta Smith also had a monster outing with 126 yards on just five receptions. Hurts, who threw two first-half interceptions, still accumulated 315 yards in the air.
For the Bears, quarterback Justin Fields was as good as advertised, as he rushed for 95 yards to go over 1,000 on the season. He threw for 152 yards and passed two touchdowns, but didn't turn the ball over. Haason Reddick had two sacks and a fumble recovery. Josh Sweat had a pair of sacks, as well as Javon Hargrave.
Here's how the game unfolded:
• Eagles win the toss and defer to the second half.
• A sign of things to come? The Bears, receiving the opening kickoff, were called for illegal formation. The Bears start at the 25 following a touchback on the rekick.
• On 3rd-and-10, after two false start penalties, Justin Fields throws a dart over the middle to wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown, who beat James Bradberry on an in-breaking route, for 20 yards and a first down. St. Brown was hurt on the play, and the Bears are already without Darnell Mooney, Chase Claypool, and N'Keal Harry at wide receiver. The Eagles have used K'Von Wallace at safety in the nickel subpackage, but Avonte Maddox has been the safety opposite Marcus Epps in base packages.
• Another early injury to watch for the Bears. Starting right guard Tevin Jenkins was hurt on a David Montgomery first-down carry. Michael Schofield is in for Jenkins, who was carted off the field.
• Montgomery bounced left and ran up the middle to get the first down on 3rd-and-1. He gained 7 yards to the Eagles' 39-yard line.
• Good hustle by Milton Williams, who took down tight end Cole Kmet from behind on a TE screen to set up 3rd-and-1.
• On 3rd-and-1, designed QB run for Fields out of the empty set, Wallace shot down to force Fields out of bounds for a loss of 1. On 4th-and-2, Fields rolls right on a sprint out, and Maddox breaks up the pass to Dante Pettis forcing a turnover on downs. Eagles take over with 8:59 left at their own 32.
• WOW! What a throw by Jalen Hurts on 3rd-and-3. Hurts is flushed out of the pocket on an empty set. Rolling left, he throws across his body for DeVonta Smith along the left sideline and the wide receiver makes a great grab for the first down. But on the next play, Hurts rolls to his right and lofts a pass deep for A.J. Brown that is picked off by cornerback Kyler Gordon. Bears regain possession at their 17-yard line.
• Injury Update: St. Brown is being evaluated for a head injury.
• The Bears got a first down with a Fields shot pass over the middle to Byron Pringle. But that's it. Josh Sweat sets a new career high in sacks as he took down Fields for a loss of 14 on 3rd-and-10. Sweat now has 8.5 for the season. This one came on a twist as he went inside to cave the pressure in on Fields. That's 50 sacks for the Eagles as a team, which leads the NFL.
• The Eagles are trying to attack the Bears deep. The Eagles go three-and-out after second- and third-down throws to Smith and Brown, respectively, but both fall incomplete. Brett Kern makes his Eagles debut with a 40-yard punt. Bears take over at own 29 after 4-yard return.
• Injury Update: Jenkins is out for the Bears with a neck injury.
• Time to kick in the door. Bears on 3rd-and-1 have Fields drop back to pass and Javon Hargrave gets the sack to end the first quarter.
The Eagles take a step closer to securing home-field advantage in the NFC with a win over the Chicago Bears on Sunday. Check out the best photos from our photographers on the scene in the Windy City.
• First play of the second quarter is a punt that is fair caught by Britain Covey at the 19-yard line. It looks like it's going to be a SMITTY DAY as Hurts hits Smith on a shallow post over the middle of the Bears' zone coverage. Smith outraces the defense for a gain of 45 yards to the Bears' 34-yard line. Two plays later, Hurts freezes linebacker Jack Sanborn with a fake handoff to Miles Sanders to open a window for Brown on a slant for 16 yards. Tyree Jackson was called for holding on a short pass to Quez Watkins. On 2nd-and-15, Hurts had Brown down the left sideline in the end zone, but cornerback Jaylon Johnson did an amazing job to break up the pass. On 3rd down, Hurts went to Brown again on a quick in-breaking route. Brown turned it out and used a stiff-arm to gain a few extra yards, but was short of the first-down marker. Jake Elliott came on to nail a 32-yard field goal attempt for the first points of the day.
EAGLES 3, BEARS 0 – 11:50 remaining
• On 3rd-and-4, Fields takes the ball out of the gun, pressure comes, but he is able to escape up the middle for a gain of 15 yards. Fields works his magic again, escaping Haason Reddick and finding Montgomery over the middle for a 21-yard gain. On the next snap, Reddick – matched up against a tight end – crushed Fields for a strip-sack but weren't able to recover. Fields made the Eagles pay on 2nd-and-27. He somehow escaped a second straight sack by Reddick and raced to the 9-yard line where he stepped out of bounds. Montgomery scores on the ground on the next play with a great lead block by fullback Khari Blasingame. Cairo Santos missed the point after.
BEARS 6, EAGLES 3 – 6:47 remaining
• Miles Sanders, coming off a personal-best 144 rushing yards, gets his first carry of the game to start the drive, but only gains 1 yard. The drive ends with Hurts throwing his second interception of the half. There appeared to be a miscommunication with Watkins and Hurts' anticipated throw went right to safety DeAndre Houston-Carson. Bears take over at the Eagles' 25.
• Fields was able to get around Brandon Graham to get 11 yards and a first down, down the right sideline. On the next snap, Fields fumbled the handoff to running back Trestan Ebner, but Ebner was able to recover the ball for a loss of 4. REDDICK ENDS THE DRIVE by hitting Fields' arm on second down and sacking him on third down for his second of the day. The Bears, at the 31, punt instead of going for the field goal after Santos' PAT miss.
• Credit to the Eagles' defense for not giving up any points after the two turnovers.
• Can the Eagles score in the final two minutes of the half? Smith draws an illegal contact penalty to get a first down at the Eagles' 31-yard line. On 3rd-and-3, WHEW, Hurts throws a dime down the right sideline for Smith, who beat Gordon for 38 yards to get over 100 yards on the day. Eagles have the first down at the Bears' 24. Hurts takes care of the rest. On 3rd-and-8 from 22, Hurts sees the Bears sending the safety into the rush package, so he just goes up the middle after taking the snap and runs wide open into the end zone. Eagles regain the lead just before the half.
EAGLES 10, BEARS 6 – 43 seconds remaining
• Sweat is jealous of Reddick and gets his second sack of the half to close things out. He waited and looped inside to take down Fields. The Eagles had five sacks in the first half.
• Boston Scott kick-starts the Eagles with a 58-yard return on the opening kickoff of the second half to give the offense great field position at the Bears' 42-yard line.
• Injury to watch – Jack Sanborn walked off with the help of trainers after a second-down pass over the middle to tight end Jack Stoll. Sanborn was in on the tackle.
• MY, OH, MY – Hurts hits Brown with an over-the-shoulder rainbow down the right sideline for 29 yards to the 2-yard line. Johnson had tremendous coverage, but Brown did a great job leaving enough room and getting his feet down. Two plays later, Hurts sneaks over the middle for the touchdown.
EAGLES 17, BEARS 6 – 12:19 remaining
• Not to be outdone, Javon Hargrave gets his second sack of the game on 3rd-and-5. This was after Reddick chased down Fields to keep him from converting a first down with his legs. Three-and-out for the defense to start the second half. Eagles take over at own 40 after punt goes out of bounds.
• Just as it looks like the Eagles are taking command, Sanders commits his first fumble of the season on a screen pass. Mike Pennel forces the fumble. Gordon recovers and returns it to the Eagles' 15-yard line.
• Bears capitalize on this turnover. On a third-down blitz, Fields get the ball quickly to Montgomery in the flat for 10 yards and the touchdown.
EAGLES 17, BEARS 13 – 8:45 remaining
• Offense goes three-and-out. Hurts was clocked on a second-down run attempt up the middle. He went deep for Watkins down the left side on third down, but the pass was incomplete. After a Kern punt, Bears take over at their 40 following a 20-yard return up the right sideline by Pettis.
• Fields gets a first down running to the outside around Graham down the right sideline into Eagles territory. The Eagles GET THE BALL BACK!!!!!! On an end around to Velus Jones, Maddox was making a tackle and knocked the ball loose and, of all people, Reddick adds a fumble recovery to his two sacks. Eagles take over at own 43.
• Hurts gets Brown wide open on a quick in-breaker for a gain of 20 yards to open the drive. The Eagles, later facing 4th-and-6, go for it at the Bears' 33. Hurts forced the ball to Brown, but Johnson locked him up and broke up the pass.
• Eagles come up with a big stop. On 3rd-and-10, linebacker T.J. Edwards sniffs out the TE screen to Cole Kmet and stops him after a gain of 6 to force a punt. Trenton Gill punts the ball and it's downed at the Eagles' 4-yard line.
• DeVonta Smith bails out the Eagles with a first down on a 3rd-and-10 wide receiver screen to Hurts' right side. He follows that up with another first down with an 8-yard grab on 2nd-and-7 to end the third quarter.
• First play is a slant to Brown on the left side for a 12-yard gain and a first down. Sanders then adds his biggest run of the day, an 18-yarder to get across midfield. Eagles go for it on 4th-and-3, Hurts keeps it and Brown makes a key block to give the quarterback just enough space for the first down. Another Brown slant, another QB sneak, and the Eagles convert on 3rd-and-1 to get into the red zone. The Eagles settle for a 38-yard Elliott field goal attempt, but the wind EATS the ball and it doinks off the upright.
• Fields is a freaking Houdini. He somehow escaped a third Reddick sack, but Riley Reiff was called for holding and Fields suffered a leg injury on the scramble. Nathan Peterman is in at quarterback. On 3rd-and-14, Peterman's throw for Nsimba Webster was broken up by Big Play Slay. Eagles take over with 6:47 left. Fields went to the locker room.
• Starting from their 25, on 3rd-and-6, and HURTS GOES BOMBS AWAY FOR BROWN, who is matched up against Johnson. A perfect pass to Brown who stays in bounds and gets to the 3-yard line. It's a 68-yard gain to get the Eagles a step closer to icing the game. The Eagles get in the end zone with a QB sneak by Hurts from the 1-yard line on 3rd down. It's Hurts' third rushing touchdown of the day as he ties the single-game franchise record. The Eagles go for the 2-point conversion and Hurts keeps it on the sneak, going to the left side, to force the Bears to need two touchdowns.
EAGLES 25, BEARS 13 – 4:20 remaining
• Fields is back for the Bears. Looking for a quick score, the Bears try the flea-flicker. Fields' deep shot to Jones falls incomplete with Bradberry in coverage. Fields keeps the drive alive with a 3rd-and-4 conversion to Webster over the middle. On the next play, Fields escapes pressure – again – and the secondary loses track of Pringle, who is WIDE OPEN at the goal line for a 35-yard touchdown.
EAGLES 25, BEARS 20 – 2:43 remaining
• Smith recovers the onsides kick for the Eagles. On 3rd-and-6, just after the two-minute warning, Hurts hits Brown on a slant to end the ballgame. Eagles hold on to improve to 13-1.