In the first preseason game of the year, the Eagles lost to the Tennessee Titians 27-10 at Lincoln Financial Field. Quarterback Nate Sudfeld ran the show early with 10 completions on 18 attempts for 177 yards as Carson Wentz was given the night off. His performance was highlighted by a 75-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Marken Michel in the second quarter. Along with the touchdown pass, Sudfeld connected with Dallas Goedert multiple times, including a 24-yard catch in the middle of the first quarter that started the offense’s momentum.
However, Sudfeld suffered a broken wrist on his left, non-throwing arm late in the second quarter and exited with a cast. Head coach Doug Pederson said that Sudfeld will have surgery on Friday, but it is not a season-ending injury. Here are some of the other takeaways from Thursday night.
1. Dallas Goedert, who started as Zach Ertz was off for the night, led the Eagles in the huddle and on the field. The second-year tight end caught three balls of the five targeted at him. His first catch resulted in a 24-yard gain and he racked up 50 yards in the first half.
2. After Sudfeld exited, Cody Kessler and Clayton Thorson combined to finish 5-of-15 for just 19 yards and an interception with the reserve players on offense.
3. Young defensive ends Daeshon Hall and Shareef Miller accounted for a pair of sacks.
4. Safety Andrew Sendejo had a pass breakup early in the first quarter to force a turnover on downs. The Titans were 0-for-4 on fourth down.
5. Kicker Jake Elliott put the Eagles on the board with a 53-yard field goal with 1:45 left in the first quarter.
6. The Titans featured three quarterbacks in this evening's game. Marcus Mariota was at the helm in the beginning for the Titans throwing for 24 yards on four completions. During the middle of the first quarter, Ryan Tannehill replaced Mariota and threw two touchdowns on 130 yards. Tannehill’s second touchdown was a 23-yard pass to tight end Anthony Firkser and the play was sealed with a successful two-point conversion. Logan Woodside finished the night and was 15-of-20 for 138 yards with two touchdowns.
7. After a 17-yard touchdown pass from Woodside in the middle of the fourth quarter, both teams lined up from the extra point. Defensive tackle Treyvon Hester blocked the extra point attempt. This is the second time Hester has tipped a ball in the 2019 calendar year. The first time occurred last season in the in the Wild Card game off a kick from Cody Parkey that ultimately sealed the Eagles' victory.
8. In the beginning of the second quarter, Jeremy McNichols ran the ball 37 yards across the right side of the field. Dalyn Dawkins continued the impressive run game with a 11-yard burst to set up the touchdown. Tannehill threw a short pass to MyCole Pruitt for six points with 11:44 remaining in the first half.
Take a look at the best photos from the Eagles' game against the Tennessee Titans in Week 1 of the 2019 preseason.