The Eagles are 8-0 for the first time in franchise history after outlasting the Houston Texans, 29-17.
Quarterback Jalen Hurts was 21-of-27 for 243 yards with two touchdown passes for a 128.9 passer rating in his return to his hometown of Houston.
Running back Miles Sanders was explosive with 93 yards on 17 carries and the Eagles' first touchdown of the night.
Wide receiver A.J. Brown provided the go-ahead touchdown in the third quarter while tight end Dallas Goedert paced all pass catchers with 100 yards on eight catches and a touchdown.
Defensive tackle Javon Hargrave notched three sacks of Texans quarterback Davis Mills, while safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson turned the game in the Eagles' favor in the third quarter with a pick and cornerback James Bradberry ended any hope of a Houston comeback with a fourth-quarter interception.
Here's a drive-by-drive recap of the victory:
• The Texans are up to the challenge early. They marched 75 yards in nine plays as tight end Teagan Quitoriano capped off the drive with a 2-yard touchdown reception from Davis Mills, outmuscling the ball away from safety K'Von Wallace for his first career catch and touchdown. The big play came as wide receiver Phillip Dorsett beat James Bradberry on an out-and-up route for a 34-yard gain.
• What an answer from the Eagles. Miles Sanders punched the ball in from 2 yards out on 4th-and-goal to cap off an 18-play, 91-yard drive to even the score at 7-7 with 1:33 left in the first quarter. Jalen Hurts went 8-of-12 for 76 yards on the drive, completing the ball to six different receivers. The Eagles converted three third downs as well as the fourth down to finish it off.
• K'Von Wallace is in the game at safety for C.J. Gardner-Johnson (UPDATE: Gardner-Johnson returned a short time later). No injury update given yet by the team. The Eagles forced a punt after Haason Reddick tackled running back Dameon Pierce for a short loss before left tackle Laremy Tunsil committed a false start on 3rd-and-6. Davis Mills scrambled for a gain of 8, but was short of the sticks on 3rd-and-11. Eagles will get the ball at their own 20 following the touchback, but better drive for the defense only allowing one first down.
• Jalen Hurts commits his first fumble of the season. After back-to-back passes to A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith to gain 53 yards, Hurts was blindsided on a corner blitz by former Eagle Steven Nelson. The Texans recovered at their 35.
• No harm, no foul after the turnover. The defense gave up one first down after Mills connected with tight end O.J. Howard on a play-action bootleg for 14 yards, but settled down after that. Defensive tackle Javon Hargrave sacked Mills on third down to end the drive.
• The Eagles are taking control. The Eagles garnered their first lead of the game with a 10-play, 79-yard drive that ended with a Kenneth Gainwell 4-yard run up the middle on 3rd-and-goal. Gainwell originally lined up wide to the left, motioned into the backfield, and took the handoff, running to paydirt. Sanders opened the drive with back-to-back explosive runs that netted 38 yards. The Eagles kept the Texans off balance with the screen game – first a tight end screen to Dallas Goedert on the right side for 15 yards, then a wide receiver screen to Zach Pascal for 8 yards on the left side. Hurts converted the other third down on the drive on a play where it looked like it would be a QB sneak, but Hurts took the snap and ran to the left instead. It's 14-7 with 4:32 left in the first half.
• Well, the Texans aren't going quietly into the night. The Texans answered the Eagles' drive with a seven-play, 75-yard drive fueled by rookie running back Dameon Pierce, whose hard running style is giving the defense fits. His 36-yard run got the Texans into Eagles territory. Davis Mills finished off the drive with an athletic play, rolling to his right and firing the ball to wide receiver Chris Moore for a 13-yard touchdown with 37 seconds left in the half. Pierce has 88 yards on 13 carries in the first two quarters.
• The Eagles have been prolific in the second quarter of games this season, so 37 seconds was plenty to get in scoring range. Jalen Hurts hit Dallas Goedert on a corner route in zone coverage 21 yards. Hurts scrambled for 7 yards to set up Jake Elliott for a 54-yard attempt but the kicker missed wide right.
• It's 14-14 at halftime but the Eagles will receive the ball to start the second half.
• Jerry Hughes beat Jordan Mailata twice for sacks on the opening drive of the second half to force a three-and-out.
• The defense steps up for the Eagles, forcing a three-and-out as well. Haason Reddick drew a holding penalty on first down that pretty much stunted the drive immediately. Pressure forced Davis Mills to spike the ball into the turf on 1st-and-20. Then, Josh Sweat wrapped up Dameon Pierce for a 2-yard loss to make it 3rd-and-22.
• Miles Sanders hit a huge hole on first down to get 9 yards, but the Eagles are stymied from there. Kenneth Gainwell was stoned, then Sanders initially had the first down behind an unbalanced line – Lane Johnson was on the left side of the formation. But Sanders' knee was down short of the first down and Houston challenged and won to overturn the call. Two drives, two three-and-outs for the Eagles' offense.
• C.J. GARDNER-JOHNSON gets his league-leading fifth interception of the season! On 3rd-and-6, Mills was pressured, forced a ball deep down the middle, and Gardner-Johnson was there for his fourth straight game with a pick. Plus, he returned the pick 25 yards to the Texans' 17-yard line.
• Eagles quickly capitalize on the turnover as Hurts connects with A.J. Brown for a 17-yard touchdown, his sixth of the season. to make it 21-14 with 8:04 left in the third quarter. The Eagles have now scored 60 points off takeaways this season, second in the NFL.
• The Texans refuse to go away. A wide receiver screen to Chris Moore netted 25 yards. Then, Pierce gained 33 yards on the ground and Rex Burkhead churned out a 9-yard carry to set up Ka'imi Fairbairn for a 30-yard field goal to make it 21-17.
• Dallas Goedert breaks out in the fourth quarter as the Eagles extended their lead to 29-17. He caught four passes for 41 yards, including a 4-yard touchdown, to make it 29-17 with 11:22 to go in the game. Goedert is up to 100 yards exactly on eight receptions. The Eagles decided to go for 2 after an offsides penalty on the PAT attempt and Hurts kept the ball and crossed the goal line to give Philadelphia a 12-point edge.
• Javon Hargrave was called for a roughing the passer penalty early in the Texans' drive, but he more than made up for it with his second sack of the game to end the drive. That's back-to-back games with multiple sacks for Hargrave, who has lined up at times in the fourth quarter in the nose tackle spot that he previously played when he was a Pittsburgh Steeler. Again, Jordan Davis is out with an ankle injury that landed him on Injured Reserve.
• The Eagles get the ball back, but go three-and-out as Jerry Hughes nearly had his third sack of the game – this time against Lane Johnson. Hurts was able to escape the pressure, but the offense couldn't add to the lead.
• Javon Hargrave gets the hat trick, sacking Mills for a career-high third time to force a 3rd-and-19 from the 21-yard line. On the next play, Mills forced the pass to wide receiver Phillip Dorsett and cornerback James Bradberry was there for the interception to all but end any chance for a comeback.
The Eagles look to extend their perfect start to the season while maintaining an undefeated all-time record against the Houston Texans on Thursday Night Football.