Philadelphia Eagles News

Third Quarter Review: Eagles Up 22

The Eagles started the second half with the football and a 24-3 lead. Brad Smith didn't do much with the kick return, and the Eagles faced a third down after two plays. Nick Foles would find DeSean Jackson to keep the drive alive. A few plays later, Foles would again find Jackson for another first down, taking the ball to Chicago's 42-yard line. Two plays later, LeSean McCoy would be stripped of the ball and defensive linemen Stephen Paea would recover for Chicago. Chip Kelly threw an unnecessary challenge flag (all turnovers are automatically reviewed), which cost the Eagles a timeout. After reviewing the play, it was ruled that McCoy was down by contact. Given second life, a Jason Kelce holding penalty would set up a second-and-nineteen play. After an incomplete pass, Foles would be tackled after a short gain, setting up a Donnie Jones punt. A 47-yard punt, pinned the Bears at their own two-yard line.

Starting deep in the shadow of the goal post, Jay Cutler handed off to Matt Forte who was tripped up immediately by Cedric Thornton. The officials ruled that Forte had stretched the ball out of the end zone, but Kelly would throw the challenge flag. Upon further review, Forte did not make it out of the end zone. The safety extended the Eagles lead to 26-3.

After the free kick, the Eagles started at their own 33-yard line. McCoy picked up 17 yards on first down, and Foles found Riley Cooper on the ensuing play for a gain of 32, taking the ball to the Chicago 18. A Bryce Brown run set the Eagles up with first-and-goal from the four-yard line, and two plays later McCoy would find the end zone for his second score of the night. The extra point put the Eagles up 33-3 with 7:11 remaining in the third quarter.

Down 30 points, the Bears started their next drive at their own 22. After two plays, the Bears faced a third-and-seven. Cutler would be sacked by Mychal Kendricks, forcing a fumble. The Bears would recover, but it was then time for a punt.

With 5:34 remaining in the quarter, the Eagles started at their own 45. On the first play however, Brent Celek would fumble, and Chicago's Jonathan Bostic recovered. Starting at their own 30, the Bears couldn't get anything going, setting up a fourth-and-six play. Cutler would hang in the pocket and find Alshon Jeffery for seven yards and a first down. After driving into Eagles territory, Trent Cole would come up with his third sack of the game. On third-and long, the Bears would pick up nine yards, setting up fourth-and-nine at the Eagles 41. On fourth down, Cutler would find Forte for a first down. On the next play, Cutler connected with Martellus Bennett down to the Eagles one-yard line. A delay of game penalty would back the Bears up five yards, but Cutler would find Brandon Marshall for a touchdown as the final seconds ran off the clock. The Bears would go for go for two, and Cutler would find Earl Bennett for two.

As the teams switched sides for the fourth quarter, the score was Philadelphia 33, Chicago 11.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content