Q. What happened on the opening kickoff?
COACH KELLY: I haven't talked to [special teams coordinator Dave] Fipp yet, but I think it was miscommunication in the back. But I'll get down to the bottom of it.
Q. At any point, did you think about pulling CB Bradley Fletcher?
COACH KELLY: No, I'll talk to [defensive coordinator] Billy [Davis] about that but we didn't talk about that, no.
* Q. On the three touchdowns Cowboys WR Dez Bryant scored, was the corner supposed to have safety help and if not, why not?*
COACH KELLY: I'll get that ‑‑ I don't have that answer for you. I haven't met with Billy after the game. When I get done, I'll grab Billy and get that for you. If not, we can talk about it tomorrow.
* Q. What are your overall thoughts on what went wrong tonight?*
COACH KELLY: Obviously, you can't put yourself behind 21‑0 against a good football team and then expect that you can come back and win the game. We put ourselves in too big of a hole to start with and then got back up. Give us credit for getting back into it.
But then that last drive, we had them pinned down, you have the long interference call and we had our opportunities to win the game. And we're still down a score and we come back the other way and we have a big turnover that really hurt us.
* Q. Turnovers have been a problem all year. What do you need to do to correct those?*
COACH KELLY: It's the same thing we talk about every week. It sounds like a broken record but we can't turn the football over and expect to win football games.
* Q. Nothing you can do to fix that?*
COACH KELLY: We are coaching it and we are not doing the right thing so we'll continue to address it.
* Q. Could you tell what happened on the first QB Mark Sanchez interception? Was it just a bad throw?*
COACH KELLY: Which one was that?
* Q. Looking for TE Zach Ertz over the middle?*
COACH KELLY: The one that hit Ertz in the hands? Yeah, I think Mark was off balance and it didn't look like it was a good throw. I don't know if he had a rush. I was watching the combination coverage on [RB Darren] Sproles and we had Sproles and Ertz over there. He was on the right guy, it was Ertz, but I think it has to be a better ball.
Q. It looked like you had an open middle of the field. You went with your tight ends more in the first half … what were they doing to the receivers on the outside?
COACH KELLY: I didn't see it that way. I think they mixed up coverages. They really played us close to what they did last time they played us, so they did a good job of mixing zone and man.
* Q. How do you assess Mark's play overall tonight?*
COACH KELLY: I think everybody in every phase didn't play well enough to win the game.
* Q. You knew they were going to play better this time than the last time you saw them. Did it feel like it just snowballed on you guys?*
COACH KELLY: No, I mean obviously it started off that way when you go down 21, but then we rallied back. You put yourself ‑‑ we got back to 24 and you feel like we're finally fighting back. We dug ourselves a big hole but hopefully we've dug ourselves out of it. But then that long drive was tough for us and then our offense didn't go out and respond.
* Q. You no longer control your own destiny in terms of playoffs and this is the first time you're facing this. What do you tell the guys?*
COACH KELLY: The only thing that matters is just our next game. We can't think anything long term. We don't worry about who does what and who does anything. If we don't go out and beat Washington, then it's kind of a moot point, anyway. Only thing we can control is our preparation for Washington. Let's worry about what we can do, and what we can do is get ready to play Washington and get to 10 [wins].
* Q. If QB Nick Foles is medically cleared tomorrow, will he play Saturday?*
COACH KELLY: I don't know anything about that.
* Q. Is there any thought to giving QB Matt Barkley a look at this point?*
COACH KELLY: No. We haven't talked about that, no.
* Q. The first game against Cowboys WR Dez Bryant, you really took him out of the game. Did they do something different with him?*
COACH KELLY: No, I think they may have tried to get the ball to him a little bit more. Again, I thought our guys did a great job on [RB] DeMarco Murray. Obviously, he's their bell cow. I think he had 30 carries but we held him in check. But we also know they had other weapons. [Cowboys QB] Tony [Romo] played better today than he did in the last game. Dez obviously played better, [TE Jason] Witten hurt us especially on third down, especially in the first half.
We understood that but I think that's what happens when you have weapons at every position. You just can't do one thing. We stopped them in one phase but we didn't stop them in another phase.
* Q. The penalties to extend drives on defense, why does this keep happening?*
COACH KELLY: I don't know. We have to look at the individual play and see what the call is and see exactly how it broke down in terms of what they did. A lot of times I'm out there, you just see a flag and you can't see [the play]. You don't get a real good replay of why they called it or what happened on that play.
Q. In the first half, CB Cary Williams was flagged twice for contact penalties. What did you see there?
* *COACH KELLY: I can't tell you. Was he at five yards or not at five yards? I really can't tell you.
* Q. How was the protection that Sanchez had today?*
* *COACH KELLY: It broke down at different times, especially when there were four-man rushes, but it's a combination. It was everybody offensively in terms of having time to put the ball on people. But we didn't do enough overall as a group to win a football game.
* Q. You fall behind 21 points. Does that alter what you do with your game plan?*
* *COACH KELLY: You know, I still think we got back into it and you look at a couple of those drives, we ran the ball in those situations because we were still trying to get the ball run and then you go back down again. So I think in the third quarter, we still kind of stuck to it a little bit.
Q. How much confidence do you have in your two starting cornerbacks right now?
* *COACH KELLY: I have a ton of confidence in them. That's who we've got and that's who we're going with. [CB Brandon] Boykin's playing nickel and [CB] Nolan [Carroll II] is playing dime so we're going with what we've got right now.
Q. You guys have lost two straight games to two good teams, obviously. How is the team's confidence and what do you tell them after the game?
* *COACH KELLY: I told them that we have to get to – there's obviously two big games ahead of us. The only thing we need to worry about is just get the next game ahead of us. We're going to have to get to 11-5 to see if you can get in but you're not going to get to 11-5 unless you go 10-5 first. The one thing we control is our preparation for Washington and that is what we have to get ready for.