With Chip Kelly entering his first season charge of personnel for the Eagles, there still exists plenty of uncertainty about just what the Eagles will do on draft day. Eagles fans, though, should be quite familiar with the draft-day philosophy of former head coach Andy Reid, as we move on to the Kansas City Chiefs and the 18th overall pick in our Fan Mock Draft.
Think Reid wants to add some "fastballs" to the defense, despite the presence of reigning sack-champion Justin Houston and Tamba Hali at outside linebacker? If so, Kentucky's Bud Dupree would be the guy here as the clear top pass-rushing talent available. The Chiefs do need help at inside linebacker, but no one who followed Reid's tenure in Philadelphia would slot a linebacker to Kansas City in the first round, even if general manager John Dorsey is the one running the draft room.
Up front on defense, the Chiefs have a star nose tackle in Dontari Poe, but Oregon's Arik Armstead could fit in well as a 3-4 defensive end for the Chiefs as his length would complement the rest of the Chiefs' pieces in the front seven.
At cornerback, the Chiefs appear to have found a gem in 2014 third-round pick Phillip Gaines, slated to start opposite veteran Sean Smith. But defensive coordinator Bob Sutton could use more help in the secondary and there's plenty available with a cornerback group that includes Kevin Johnson, Byron Jones, Marcus Peters, Jalen Collins and Eric Rowe. And with Eric Berry's return to football still in question, Alabama safety Landon Collins is an option worth considering.
On offense, the Chiefs need significant help on the offensive line, where they lose starting center Rodney Hudson in free agency. Florida State's Cam Erving would be a plug-and-play replacement, but Reid might view La'El Collins, Andrus Peat or Ereck Flowers as the better prospect – and one who could push former No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher for the left tackle job.
Finally, despite five receivers already taken in this scenario and the signing of Jeremy Maclin in the offseason, Alex Smith could still use more weapons on the outside. For a Chiefs offense that struggles to get the ball downfield, Miami speedster Phillip Dorsett could stand out as a possibility.
So what will Reid and Dorsey do with the Eagles only two picks away? The choice is yours …
- 1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: QB Jameis Winston
- 2. Tennessee Titans: DL Leonard Williams
- 3. Jacksonville Jaguars: LB Dante Fowler, Jr.
- 4. Oakland Raiders: WR Amari Cooper
- 5. Washington Redskins: LB Vic Beasley
- 6. New York Jets: QB Marcus Mariota
- 7. Chicago Bears: WR Kevin White
- 8. Atlanta Falcons: LB Shane Ray
- 9. New York Giants: T/G Brandon Scherff
- 10. St. Louis Rams: WR DeVante Parker
- 11. Minnesota Vikings: CB Trae Waynes
- 12. Cleveland Browns: RB Todd Gurley
- 13. New Orleans Saints: DE Randy Gregory
- 14. Miami Dolphins: WR Breshad Perriman
- 15. San Francisco 49ers: LB Eric Kendricks
- 16. Houston Texans: WR Dorial Green-Beckham
- 17. San Diego Chargers: RB Melvin Gordon