Philadelphia Eagles News

DT Mike Patterson

On whether he questioned if would ever be able to get back to football: "Of course. It's not like this is something everybody deals with all the time. Again, it's one of those things that we had to take time, learn about it, and find out details. We were able to get it kind of focused and able to calm me down, and be able to go out there and play again."

On what the actual diagnosis was: "It most definitely is an AVM (arteriovenus malformation). I have to get it taken care of eventually, but there is no big risk right now. I don't have to worry about it. The good thing is I'm still talking to doctors and figuring out how to take care of it, but there is no risk as far as football is concerned so I'm happy about that."

On how it felt to get back out on the practice field: "It felt pretty good. I've really been dying to but I felt pretty good getting back out there with the guys. I've been looking forward to it this whole time, so it felt good to be out there."

On whether he will be back by the start of the season: "I'm planning on it. I'm really planning on it, so we'll see what happens. Right now, the coaches are doing everything right and the trainers are doing good. I really appreciate all the doctors that helped me out, especially all the fans who've sent me messages, too. We're taking it one day at a time and taking extra precautions to make sure everything is safe. You don't want to go out there and risk anything."

On how difficult the process of getting him cleared to practice was: "It was a good thing. Like I said, I have wonderful doctors and trainers here. They really helped me out. I really thank God because it could have been a worse situation than it was. To me, it was a perfect moment because it was on the field and we have some trainers there and some doctors there. Everything was able to be taken care of right then and there, and I'm thankful for that."

On whether he remembers the seizure: "No, I actually just blacked out. I kind of just came to in the ambulance, and the guy was all over me putting the pads on me and taking the IV. I figured that something had happened, I just didn't know what it was at the same time."

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.